“Rivers of Light,” the new nighttime show at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, is just days away from it’s grand debut this Friday, February 17. Today we’re excited to share a behind-the-scenes look at the four costumes you’ll see in the show that represent Earth & Fire and Air & Water.
Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment collaborated closely with noted New York-based costume designer Irina Kruzhilina, to produce designs that reflect a combination of Native American, European and Far Eastern cultures.
In the video above, Costumer Amanda Meldrum explains how intricate and complex the show’s costumes are, requiring 81 different embroidery motifs, 180 different fabrics and more than 250 various bead designs. Amanda also shares how their unique production process included both ancient weaving and dying techniques – as well as the use of digital technology – to create the perfect look.
Will you see “Rivers of Light” on your next trip to Disney’s Animal Kingdom? Tell us in the Comments section below.
Read more about “Rivers of Light” in these posts:
- All in the Details: Learn About The ‘Rivers of Light’ Animal Spirit Guides
- All in the Details: Storytelling at Rivers of Light’s Discovery River Amphitheater
- Hear What Guests Are Loving About ‘Rivers of Light’
- Disney Parks Blog Unboxed – ‘Rivers of Light’ Merchandise
- Reservations Open Today for Rivers of Light Dining Package Debuting February 17 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom