Perhaps no one here at Walt Disney World Resort is more excited for today’s solar eclipse than Magic Kingdom Park’s resident lounge singer, Sonny Eclipse.
The “biggest little star in the galaxy” has been entertaining guests at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe in Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom Park since 1995. Guests can catch his 27-minute set of tunes – and wisecracks – multiple times a day while they dine.
In honor of today’s solar eclipse, here are five fun facts about our very own Sonny Eclipse.
1. Sonny’s instrument is an Astro-Organ – The “out-of-this world” instrument he uses for accompaniment is a glowing keyboard-like creation called an Astro-Organ.
2. His hometown is Yew Nork City on Planet Zork – Sonny describes his hometown as a “topsy-turvy town where the subways are up and the streets are down.”
3. Sonny’s repertoire features only original songs – Sonny’s set includes eight original songs, including “Planetary Boogie,” “Bright Little Star,” “Space Angels” “Gravity Blues” and more. The songs were co-created by Walt Disney Imagineering and composer George Wilkens, who had previously written and arranged music for the Food Rocks attraction at Epcot and the “Honey, I Shrunk the Audience” pre-show at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
4. Sonny loves jokes – Sonny incorporates many jokes into his act – the cornier the better! (“You know, I recently heard the universe was expanding. Guess it’s time to loosen the asteroid belt!”).
5. Sonny has three backup singers – Sonny is backed by an invisible trio known as the Space Angels.
Love Sonny Eclipse! Years ago my parents told me that they had heard him singing Christmas music around the holidays. Are there any plans for him to have a holiday show again?
Cosmic Ray’s is a must do! As well as everything at WDW! Looking forward to go back!!!
Does he have a set times he plays?
I went here one night and was amazed at the entertainment! The automation was so much fun! I totally didn’t expect to see it! As he played, people ate, and hardly anyone was taking notice of how detailed and complicated it is to keep something like that running. They were acting as if it’s every day you see something like this. No one was to interested as he sang and interacted with the people around him. No one was sitting too close, thought there are bar stools all along the stage. Very funny how people acted more afraid of the animatronics then engaged. Also very interesting…
A visit to WDW isn’t complete without a stop to see Sonny Eclipse!
I called Cosmic Ray’s ‘Sonny’s for years! – I never knew it was called Cosmic Ray’s until a friend finally corrected me.
Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café and Sonny Eclipse are new classics at Magic Kingdom. We love to grab a seat on the main floor to take in Sonny’s full set, while enjoying rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans. (I’m not one for green beans, but these are great!)
They have the BEST chicken!
My fiancee and i visited the parks about 3 years ago and it was easily my best vacation ever. I had previously visited WDW twice, once for school and once with family, and i remembered visiting Cosmic Ray’s from those trips so when we started planning the trip I actually made it a point to go eat there. Of course it was nothing special but it was fun to sit and listen to the music and as long as Ray is there any time i visit the park I’m going to pop on by.