Flan, a delicious custard like dessert, is a staple in Hispanic families’ dinners and events.
And since August 21 is National Flan Day, we wanted to share with you an amazing recipe from one of my favorite restaurants at Walt Disney World Resort.
1 extra large egg
4 extra large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
White Chocolate Whip
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
6 amaretti cookies
For Amaretto Flan:
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Mix egg, egg yolks, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute, scraping sides of bowl until combined.
- Scald heavy cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes; do not boil.
- Slowly add hot cream to eggs with mixer running on low speed.
- Mix in vanilla extract, almond extract, and Amaretto.
- Pour flan into six 6-ounce ramekins. Each ramekin should have 2/3 cup of flan.
- Place ramekins in a baking pan. Carefully pour boiling water into pan until it reaches halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until the flans are set when gently shaken.
- Remove from oven and remove ramekins from water. Cool for 4 hours or until room temperature. Refrigerate for 8 hours, or until flan is firm.
For White Chocolate Whip:
- Heat heavy cream to boiling in a small saucepan over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add white chocolate chips, whisking constantly until melted.
- Refrigerate for 8 to 24 hours.
- Whip cooled cream and white chocolate in bowl of an electric mixer on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft peaks form.
- Top each flan with 2 tablespoons of white chocolate whip and serve with amaretti cookies.