The summer fun continues and, along with it, the summer foods are still a favorite at Disney Parks. Guests are all about the watermelon cotton candy at Disney California Adventure park. You can find it at carts throughout the park. It’s seasonal, so be sure to get yours soon. You might say the watermelon cotton candy is, well, one in a melon. ☺
And, speaking of which — we’re keeping it light at Walt Disney World Resort with this guest favorite Delicious Disney recipe for Watermelon Rind Salad. This dish can be found at Boma – Flavors of Africa at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge.
Q: Why do watermelons have fancy weddings?
A: Because they cantaloupe.
Ok, ok … I’m out! ☺
Watermelon Rind Salad
Makes 6 cups
- 4 pounds watermelon
- 1 cup thinly sliced ginger
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup grenadine
- 1 cup water
1. Slice red fruit away from watermelon rind and skin. Scrub skin and scrape the white part of rind with a serrated spoon to remove most of red fruit.
2. Slice rind and skin into paper-thin strips with a mandoline. Set aside.
3. Stir together ginger, sugar, vinegar, grenadine, and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook 10 minutes to let ginger infuse liquid. Remove from heat and slightly cool.
4. Stir in watermelon rind and marinate at least 1 hour. Refrigerate in an airtight container. To serve, drain the rind and remove ginger slices.