Staying at Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina, Hawai’i, means you’ll enjoy many of the comforts of home, including a full kitchen in the 1- and 2-bedroom Villas, as well as the breathtaking Grand Villas. Inspired by these special accommodations, and the beauty of Aulani, food blogger Jenny Flake recently created several delicious dishes that are perfect for family vacations at this magnificent resort.
Among her Aulani-inspired culinary creations is a sweet and savory island style grilled cheese that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Below is the recipe, which you can recreate at home. Or, if you’re a Disney Vacation Club Member, this is the perfect meal to make part of your annual tradition while staying in your own Villa!
Island Style Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1⁄2 stick softened butter
- 8 slices ham
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 4 slices Swiss Cheese
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- Place bread slices onto parchment paper and spread butter on tops of each.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- In batches, place a buttered side piece of bread face down into skillet then layer with 2 slices of ham, 2 tablespoons of crushed pineapple, a slice of Swiss cheese and a slice of cheddar cheese.
- Place another slice of bread on top buttered side up.
- Grill each side of bread until golden brown and cheese melted.
- Continue until all sandwiches have been made.
- Slice each sandwich in half and serve warm with a green salad.
Makes 4 servings.
Add a fried egg and that is the best breakfast sandwich ever!