Spyglass Grill offers popular American foods infused with Caribbean flavors. And every time we stay at the resort, we start our day there with a delicioso breakfast!
Our favorite item is the Cream Cheese and Guava-stuffed French Toast and today we are sharing the recipe with you! It is yummy, sweet and tangy all at the same time, and it brings flavors from home (the Caribbean that is!) that we love!
CREAM CHEESE ICING
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup guava paste, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 cup water
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
1 tablespoon butter
8 slices, brioche, cut into 3/4-inch thick slices
8 slices guava paste, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips
1 pint strawberries, sliced
FOR CREAM CHEESE ICING:
- Whip cream cheese in a bowl of electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add powdered sugar and whip until fluffy.
- Add heavy cream and beat until mixed. Set aside.
FOR CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- Place cream cheese in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Whip until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and mix until fluffy. Set aside.
FOR GUAVA SAUCE:
- Combine guava paste and water in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until thick syrup forms.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
FOR EGG CUSTARD:
- Combine milk, cream, eggs, and vanilla paste in medium bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Set aside.
FOR FRENCH TOAST:
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat, until butter is melted.
- Dip 2 slices of brioche in egg custard, making sure to coat both sides of bread. Remove from custard and place on hot skillet.
- Cook for 2 minutes, until golden brown. Turn brioche over. Place 1/4 of the cream cheese filling on one piece of bread and 2 slices of guava paste on the other. Cook for one minute. Reduce heat to low and press guava paste and cream cheese filling sides together. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until fillings begin to melt.
- Place on a plate and top with guava sauce, cream cheese icing, and strawberries.
- Repeat with remaining slices of brioche.