Ahoy Mateys! This summer, we are sharing some of our favorite places to cool off at the Disneyland Resort, along with cool facts you may not have known!
Since its debut in 1967, Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland park has transported millions of guests on a thrilling, immersive adventure. The engaging experience debuted as a technological marvel and storytelling masterpiece and, for decades, this award-winning attraction has been considered one of the pinnacles of theme park experiences. The original attraction even inspired a global phenomenon and launched a highly popular film franchise.
Pirates of the Caribbean is the perfect attraction to unwind on during warm days. Here are five cool facts about this classic experience:
- Disney Imagineer X Atencio, who wrote the attraction’s memorable tune, “Yo-Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me),” is the voice of the Jolly Roger skull and crossbones, seen just before guests plunge down the first waterfall.
- Guests ride through the attraction for approximately 15 minutes, on one of the longest rides at Disneyland Resort.
- Approximately 120 animated characters (human characters plus nine different types of animated animals) appear in the Audio-Animatronics cast of Pirates of the Caribbean.
- The attraction façade was partly inspired by the Cabildo building in Jackson Square in New Orleans that served as the seat of the Spanish colonial government in 1799. It is also noted for being the site where the Louisiana Purchase was signed in 1803.
- The Aztec pirate chest used in the film “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” appears in the Treasure Room as the last thing guests see in that scene.
For more “cool” experiences, be sure to check out my roundup of favorite Disneyland Resort attractions to enjoy during the warm summer months.