As Walt Disney said, “It was all started by a mouse.” – as a lifelong fan of Mickey Mouse, it’s hard to believe that it all started 90 years ago! This month, we’re celebrating Mickey’s milestone anniversary throughout the Disney Theme Parks and beyond, including at Disney Springs in Florida and Downtown Disney District in California. If you’d like to join the party, read on for more info on some of the limited-time offerings that I’m most excited about.
By now, you’ve likely heard about the #ShareYourEars program – every public photo posted to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #ShareYourEars unlocks a US $5 donation from Disney to Make-A-Wish (up to a total of US $2 million) to make even more life-changing wishes come true. At Disney Springs, a new photo backdrop was recently installed on the West Side, while at Downtown Disney District, you can find it near the Downtown Disney LIVE! stage, giving you the perfect setting for your own #ShareYourEars masterpiece.
Another masterpiece in the works? The LEGO Mystery Build celebrating Mickey Mouse. Taking place November 16-18 at The LEGO Store at both Disney Springs and Downtown Disney, guests will have the chance to contribute to a LEGO mural that will come together as LEGO blocks are added, ultimately revealing new artwork that was custom-created for the celebration.
Many Disney Springs and Downtown Disney retailers are sharing masterpieces of their own with new collections and products honoring 90 years of Mickey Mouse. The list below highlights a few of my favorites:
- Art of Disney (Disney Springs) will host a “Celebration of the Mouse” Artist Event on Friday, November 16, kicking off a weekend of festivities. Guests will have the opportunity to meet acclaimed Disney artists Brian Blackmore, Doug Bolly, Don “Ducky” Williams, and Darren Wilson from 6 – 9 p.m. EST as we launch a new art program celebrating Mickey. Can’t make it to this event? You can catch Doug Bolly, Alex Maher, and Don “Ducky” Williams on Friday, December 7 from 6 – 9 p.m. EST and Sunday, December 9 from 12 – 3 p.m. EST to keep the celebration going.
- At Curl by Sammy Duvall (Disney Springs) and Curl Surf (Downtown Disney District), guests can find watches featuring “Mickey the True Original” by Nixon as well as a Mickey and Minnie-inspired shoes from the new “Disney x Vans” collection; both are perfect for a day in the Parks!
- The Dress Shop on Cherry Tree Lane at Marketplace Co-Op (Disney Springs) and The Disney Dress Shop (Downtown Disney District) will launch sales of a new Mickey Mouse Dooney & Bourke Bag alongside a matching “Mickey Through the Years” dress and MagicBand on November 18.
- Ever After Jewelry Co. & Accessories (Disney Springs) will feature a Mickey’s Birthday Watch and a Sugarfina co-branded release, both available on November 17.
- Joffrey’s Coffee & Tea Co. (Disney Springs) recently released Mickey’s 90th Anniversary Blend, a smooth, medium-roasted coffee that is part of the new “Disney Coffee Collection” coming soon to select Joffrey’s stores nationwide. (Spoiler alert: the coffee smells heavenly and tastes even better!)
- Havaianas (Disney Springs) is launching a new collection that features illustrations representing each decade of Mickey Mouse. The Opening Edition Style, featuring a mix of two icons with the signature Havaianas striped sole and Mickey Mouse ears, will launch on Mickey’s birthday on November 18. A new style will be released every Monday through January 21, 2019. Expect designs that represent the playful spirit of the Havaianas brand with versions of Mickey that range from the classic Steamboat Willie, a 1970s-themed “Groovy Mickey” and a “Boy Band” version representing the 1990s.
- At Lacoste (Disney Springs), the store windows are dressed with the newest “Disney | Lacoste” fashions featuring an exclusive collaboration around the merriest of tennis matches. The line is “a very merry match” indeed. Everything is adorable and though I haven’t picked up a racket in years, I just might get back on the court if it means I can sport a shirt from this line. On November 18, 2018, the retailer will host an in-store event with fun photo backdrops, candy, and more. Game on.
- Levi’s (Disney Springs) has reimagined their favorite styles with a magical twist; their designers toured the Disney Animation Archives to create an exclusive graphic of Mickey Mouse. Recently, the brand partnered with Snapchat to offer their Disney Springs guests the opportunity to purchase a limited-edition Mickey Mouse hat, part of the new collection.
- Earlier this month, Melissa Shoes (Disney Springs) debuted their new “Celebrate 90 Years of Mickey Mouse” shoe collection with designs for both kids and adults. The location amped up the celebration the weekend prior to Mickey’s birthday with a special in-store event this past Saturday, November 10, that included a candy bar, photo opportunities and other surprises.
- PANDORA is marking Mickey’s milestone with a limited-edition Disney dangle charm in sterling silver, detailed with a 14k gold number “90” – it will be available at both Disney Springs and Downtown Disney, while supplies last. In California, the retailer will welcome Disney illustrator Robert Griggs on Sunday, November 18; during the event, guests will receive a special illustration featuring Mickey artwork (no purchase required).
- Just this week, Sunglass Hut debuted a new option for fans of Ray-Ban Mickey Mouse glasses available at Disney Parks. The classic Ray-Ban Wayfarer glasses feature bold custom artwork by Disney lead artist Jeff Shelley and are available in both adult and “Mini Me” sizes. The designs are available at Sunglass Icon by Sunglass Hut on both coasts, and at other Disney Parks Sunglass Hut locations, while supplies last.
- At UNIQLO (Disney Springs), the new “Mickey Stands Collection” is now in store. Guests are loving the iconic Mickey pose mixed with the comfortable, high-quality products UNIQLO is known for. To support the launch, the store will be adding extra entertainment with traditional Japanese drummers and brand ambassadors select weekend dates in November and December from 4 – 9 p.m. with the first activation taking place on Saturday, November 17.
- Similar to the Art of Disney, WonderGround Gallery at Marketplace Co-Op (Disney Springs) will also host a “Celebration of the Mouse” Artist Event November 16 – 18 and December 7 – 9. WonderGround artists Dave Perillo and Kristin Tercek will be available to meet Guests and sign their newest Mickey pieces November 16 – 17 from 6 – 9 p.m. EST and November 18 from 12 – 3 p.m. EST. Matt Hawkins and Bill Robinson will be appearing December 7 – 8 from 6 – 9 p.m. EST and December 9 from 12 – 3 p.m. EST. This is your chance to check out their unique interpretations of Mickey Mouse.
- Of course, World of Disney is joining the party, too! On November 17 the newly-renovated stores at Disney Springs and Downtown Disney District will offer event tees, commemorative Mickey plush and a new Sugarfina co-branded product release, all available while supplies last.
- At Disney Springs, Zara’s “Mickey’s 90th Anniversary!” collection offers an assortment of T-shirts, leggings, sweats, and accessories for fashionable kids.
With so much shopping to do, you might need something sweet to keep you fueled up. Ghirardelli’s Magical Birthday Sundae is available for a limited time on both coasts; the same goes for treats from Amorette’s Patisserie and The Ganachery at Disney Springs – they’ll be serving a Mickey’s Birthday Dessert and celebratory frozen beverage and Mickey Mouse Chocolate Ganache Square and Strawberry Ganache Mickey Lollipop, respectively. Plus, at Goofy’s Candy Co. and Candy Cauldron, Krispie Treat Birthday Cake will be available.
In Florida, the weekend will include Happy Birthday music and shout-outs from DJs and performers as well as special photo backdrops from Disney PhotoPass Photographers. In addition, at Disney Springs, complimentary buttons will be available near the Disney Springs Christmas Tree Trail, Amorette’s Patisserie, Marketplace Co-Op, and Art of Disney.
Whew – that’s a lot! But I can’t think of anyone more deserving of all the fanfare than my all-time favorite Disney character. Happy Anniversary, Mickey Mouse!