You have a few días to enjoy the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival! The last day of the festival is this upcoming Monday, November 12.
While I’m sad that the event is sending, I’m happy to share with you the receta of my favorite dish from this year’s festival.
It’s the Charred Skirt Steak with Corn Pancakes and Jicama Slaw. You can find it at the Flavors from Fire marketplace in Future World.
And now you can make it at home! This is one of the Latin-inspired dishes that you can degustar at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
Charred Skirt Steak with Corn Pancakes and Jicama Slaw
Marinated Skirt Steak
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped Fresno or jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped serrano pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 pinch smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 1 cup peeled jicama, julienned with mandolin
- 1/2 cup peeled carrots, julienned with mandolin
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced, about 2-inch-long pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely diced Fresno or jalapeño pepper
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Pinch coarse salt
- 2 large ears yellow corn, shucked
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Pinch coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1 teaspoon canola oil, more as needed
For Marinated Skirt Steak:
1. Place all ingredients except steak in blender and purée until smooth.
2. Taste and adjust seasonings.
3. Put steak in large zip-top bag and add marinade. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
For Jicama Slaw:
1. Julienne jicama and carrots with mandolin and place in glass bowl. Add onion and diced pepper.
2. Blend vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar at medium speed in blender.
3. With blender running, slowly add oil.
4. Stir in parsley and adjust seasonings. Pour dressing over slaw.
5. Transfer to glass bowl or zip-top bag and marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours.
For Cilantro Cream:
1. Combine all ingredients in blender and purée until smooth. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
2. Transfer to bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
For Corn Pancakes:
1. Smoke corn over hickory wood chips at 220°F degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cool and cut kernels from cob. Divide into 2 equal portions.
2. Purée egg, water, milk, salt, pepper, and half of corn in food processor until smooth.
3. Transfer to medium-size bowl and fold in masa harina and remaining corn.
4. Heat canola oil in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. Pour a heaping tablespoon of batter into skillet and spread to about 1/4-inch thickness. Cook for about 4 minutes or until golden brown, flipping halfway through. Cook in batches and keep warm until ready to serve. (This step can be done while steak is resting.)
1. Remove steak from marinade and grill over charcoal to medium rare. Remove from heat and rest 10 minutes. Slice thinly against grain.
2. Place pancake on serving plate, top with steak, slaw and cilantro cream.
Cook’s Note: If you don’t have time to make the corn pancakes, you can serve with store-bought corn tortillas—fry them in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons hot oil for about 10 to 30 seconds on each side until browned and cooked (they will still be pliable). Drain on paper towels and keep warm until ready to serve.
What to beber: Pair with a cool margarita served over ice in a salt-rimmed glass, or agua fresca made with fresh melon, lime, sugar and mint.
The Festival’s 23rd year runs until November 12, 2018. For more information on the Festival, check out TasteEpcot.com or call 407-939-3378.