One of my favorite Outdoor Kitchens at the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is The Smokehouse: Barbecues and Brews. And this year we have a new dish that has chorizo y queso!
Located by the American Adventure pavilion, The Smokehouse: Barbecues and Brews features a smoked brisket with chorizo-cheese fondue! And trust me, it’s delicioso! Chef Daniel Contreras, who created the recipe, recomienda the Frozen Simply Lemonade with Firefly Blackberry Moonshine to go with this amazing dish.
If you already tried it and loved it like I did, I have good news! The team at Epcot shared with us the recipe so you can make this en casa!
Smoked brisket with chorizo-cheese fondue
Beef brisket overnight barbeque rub
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 pounds beef brisket
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (only if using oven preparation method – see Cook’s Notes below)
- 1/2 pound ground chorizo
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, grated
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
Green tomato salsa
- 1 green tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced serrano pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 cup of your favorite barbeque sauce
- 1/8 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite pickle juice
- 3 large baking potatoes
For beef brisket overnight rub:
- Mix all dry ingredients together in medium bowl until fully combined.
- Generously rub brisket with dry rub, wrap tightly in plastic wrap; place in pan or container and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, remove plastic wrap and place brisket in smoker at 250˚ for 8 hours or until internal temperature reaches 210˚. (For oven preparation method, see Cook’s Notes below.)
- Allow meat to rest for 10 minutes.
- Shred brisket and keep warm with foil.
For chorizo-cheese fondue:
- Cook chorizo, onions, and butter in medium pot over medium heat, being careful not to burn.
- Add flour and stir constantly for 3-5 minutes to ensure the flour taste has been cooked out.
- Add cream, salt, and pepper; bring just to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened and mixture coats the back of the spoon.
- Add tabasco; stir to combine.
- Add cheeses slowly, stirring until completely melted.
- Keep warm or reheat at serving time.
For green tomato salsa:
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl.
- Let stand for at least 1 hour, allowing flavors to incorporate.
For barbeque drizzle:
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, allowing flavors to incorporate.
For potato boat:
- Bake potatoes in a preheated 350˚ oven until almost tender, approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Cut potatoes in half length-wise and scoop out half of the center, creating a boat shape. (Reserve potato pulp for other uses or recipes.)
- Return potato boats to the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 10 minutes.
- Place one potato boat on each plate.
- Generously fill each boat with shredded beef brisket.
- Pour 1/4 cup chorizo cheese fondue sauce over brisket filled boat.
- Top with 2-3 tablespoons green tomato salsa.
- Garnish with drizzled barbeque sauce.
If you do not have a smoker, the oven method works just as well. Before refrigerating overnight, sprinkle liquid smoke over rubbed brisket. Next day, loosely but completely wrap brisket in heavy duty foil and place in a baking pan. Bake in a 230˚ oven for 8 hours or until internal temperature reaches 210˚. There will be leftover chorizo cheese sauce, it is so delicious be sure to have it handy when guests ask for more sauce!
The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival runs until June 3, 2019. Be sure to catch Eddie Palmieri and his orchestra at the Garden Rocks series on June 2 & 3.
For more information you can visit FreshEpcot.com.