Holiday fiestas are just around the corner and if your familia is anything like mine, you better start preparing that dish or beverage to impress everyone during las posadas and get-togethers.
Horchata is a traditional drink made of rice and popular in many households and restaurants across the country. This exquisito treat can also be found at Disney Festival of Holidays in Disney California Adventure park! Head to the Merry Mashups marketplace now through Jan. 6.
The recipe below is for our house-made non-alcoholic Horchata, topped with a Mexican cinnamon galleta. Enjoy this traditional and postre beverage with family and friends, y felices fiestas!
Serves 1 to 2
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups filtered water
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup condensed milk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla syrup
- ¼ cup water
- Dollop whipped cream
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 Mexican cinnamon galleta (cookie)
For rice base:
- Combine cinnamon sticks, jasmine rice, and water in container and cover with lid.
- Allow to sit, in the refrigerator, overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours to ensure cinnamon sticks and rice are softened.
- Blend and strain through cheesecloth and set aside.
- Combine whole milk and condensed milk in large container and stir in rice base. Add vanilla syrup; stir.
- Add ice to serving cup and pour Horchata over ice.
- Garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Cut Mexican cinnamon galleta in half and place on whipped cream to create Mickey “ears.”