’Tis the season, even in July, for baking up holiday sweet treats! The scent and taste of freshly baked gingerbread embodies all things holiday, and we have the perfect recipe to share for your Christmas in July celebration!
Although we all love a beautifully decorated gingerbread cookie, we wanted to take our gingerbread game up to the next level. We asked our Disneyland Resort pastry chefs for their favorite gingerbread recipe and they did not disappoint with their Mini Gingerbread Bundt Cakes with Orange-Vanilla Sauce.
This gingerbread recipe has all traditional spices you would expect with a little something extra. The addition of zested fresh ginger balances the molasses, and the amber lager beer ensures a nice moist cake. Fancy it up with an Orange-Vanilla Sauce pooled in the center of each mini Bundt cake and you will be the hit of the holiday party…in July or anytime! Enjoy!
Mini Gingerbread Bundt Cakes with Orange-Vanilla Sauce from Disneyland Resort
Makes 12 (4” x 1.75”)or 24 (2.7” x 1.18”) Mini Bundt Cakes
GINGERBREAD MINI BUNDT CAKES
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons zested fresh ginger
- 12-ounce bottle amber lager beer
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 teaspoon orange oil
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR GINGERBREAD BUNDT CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray mini Bundt cake cavities with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg into medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat eggs, oil, and fresh ginger in small bowl and set aside.
- Heat beer in large saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling. Remove from heat and slowly add baking soda. Once beer stops foaming, add molasses and brown sugar. Stir in flour mixture, 1/3 at a time, mixing well after adding. Stir in eggs until combined. Batter will be thin.
- Pour into prepared Bundt pans, filling each cavity 2/3 full. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire rack before removing from pan.
FOR ORANGE-VANILLA SAUCE:
- Cut vanilla bean in half and scrape out seeds using a knife. Set aside.
- Combine milk, sugar, and vanilla bean scrapings in medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until hot, but not boiling.
- Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly pour in half of the hot milk mixture while whisking the eggs. Pour eggs into saucepan with milk mixture and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly for 2-3 minutes, until thick enough to coat the back of spoon.
- Remove from heat and continue to whisk for 3 minutes.
- Pour into glass bowl and set glass bowl on top of an ice bath. Once sauce is at room temperature, add orange zest and orange oil.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Whisk powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in small bowl until smooth. If glaze is too thick, add 1/4 teaspoon of milk at a time until desired consistency.
- Drizzle glaze onto cooled cakes.
Fill center of each mini Bundt cake with Orange-Vanilla Sauce.
Note: This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version. As a reminder while preparing this recipe, please supervise children who are helping or nearby.
Stay connected with Disney Parks Blog for more delicious Disney recipes and be sure to share the magic with other Disney fans using the hashtag #DisneyMagicMoments. Happy cooking!