Beef Bourguignon debuted at Taste of EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays this year and has quickly become the dish “not to miss” for festival-goers. Offered at Yukon Holiday Kitchen located at the Canada pavilion, this hearty classic dish has it all – fork-tender beef brisket with savory flavors of bacon-infused wine sauce over crushed buttery red potatoes. What’s not to love?
The EPCOT chefs gladly shared the recipe … it is one of their favorite dishes as well!
Check out our Foodie Guide to the Taste of EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays for a list of all the delicious offerings at this year’s festival through Dec. 31.
Taste of EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 ounces smoked bacon, diced
- 3 pounds beef brisket, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces, or stew meat
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups red wine (Merlot, Pinot Noir, or Chianti)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 12 small fresh or frozen pearl onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, divided
CRUSHED RED SKINNED POTATOES
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more, to taste
- 3 pounds red-skinned potatoes, washed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- White pepper, to taste
FOR BEEF BOURGUIGNON:
- Heat butter and bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat and cook until bacon is brown and beginning to crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pat beef dry and season generously with salt and pepper. Sear in Dutch oven with butter and bacon fat, 1-2 minutes per side, until browned. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, and mushrooms and sauté 6 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften. Stir in rosemary and thyme.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes, until paste begins to caramelize, but does not burn.
- Return beef and bacon to pan. Add flour and stir constantly for 5 minutes. Add wine, beef broth, and vinegar and stir to deglaze pot. Add pearl onions and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender and sauce is thickened. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
FOR RED SKINNED CRUSHED POTATOES:
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the potatoes and boil for 10-15 minutes, until soft. Drain potatoes.
- Return potatoes to pot and mash with a hand masher or electric mixer until just broken. Add butter, sour cream, vinegar, and mash until potatoes are mashed, but still lumpy.
- Season with additional salt and white pepper, to taste.
Divide potatoes among 6 bowls. Ladle beef bourguignon on top of potatoes and garnish with remaining chopped parsley.
Note: Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby. This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
Stay connected with Disney Parks Blog for more delicious Disney recipes and be sure to share the magic with other Disney fans using the hashtag #DisneyMagicMoments. Happy cooking!