Beef Bourguignon debuted at Taste of EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays this year and has quickly become the dish “not to miss” for festival-goers. Offered at Yukon Holiday Kitchen located at the Canada pavilion, this hearty classic dish has it all – fork-tender beef brisket with savory flavors of bacon-infused wine sauce over crushed buttery red potatoes. What’s not to love?
The EPCOT chefs gladly shared the recipe … it is one of their favorite dishes as well!
Check out our Foodie Guide to the Taste of EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays for a list of all the delicious offerings at this year’s festival through Dec. 31.
Taste of EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 ounces smoked bacon, diced
- 3 pounds beef brisket, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces, or stew meat
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups red wine (Merlot, Pinot Noir, or Chianti)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 12 small fresh or frozen pearl onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, divided
CRUSHED RED SKINNED POTATOES
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more, to taste
- 3 pounds red-skinned potatoes, washed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- White pepper, to taste
FOR BEEF BOURGUIGNON:
- Heat butter and bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat and cook until bacon is brown and beginning to crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pat beef dry and season generously with salt and pepper. Sear in Dutch oven with butter and bacon fat, 1-2 minutes per side, until browned. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, and mushrooms and sauté 6 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften. Stir in rosemary and thyme.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes, until paste begins to caramelize, but does not burn.
- Return beef and bacon to pan. Add flour and stir constantly for 5 minutes. Add wine, beef broth, and vinegar and stir to deglaze pot. Add pearl onions and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender and sauce is thickened. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
FOR RED SKINNED CRUSHED POTATOES:
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the potatoes and boil for 10-15 minutes, until soft. Drain potatoes.
- Return potatoes to pot and mash with a hand masher or electric mixer until just broken. Add butter, sour cream, vinegar, and mash until potatoes are mashed, but still lumpy.
- Season with additional salt and white pepper, to taste.
Divide potatoes among 6 bowls. Ladle beef bourguignon on top of potatoes and garnish with remaining chopped parsley.
Note: Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby. This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
Click here for a print-at-home version of this recipe!
Stay connected with Disney Parks Blog for more delicious Disney recipes and be sure to share the magic with other Disney fans using the hashtag #DisneyMagicMoments. Happy cooking!
Heading to Disney next Saturday. I have one dinner planned.