Over the weekend, attendees at Destination D23 got a sneak peek at two exciting new entertainment offerings being developed for the Disney Wish. Today, we’re unveiling even more details about these original stage spectaculars — an innovative, Broadway-style take on Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “The Little Mermaid” and an embarkation day celebration helmed by Captain Minnie, Goofy and an all-star cast of Disney and Pixar characters — plus a very first look at the all-new pirate deck party coming to our newest Disney Cruise Line ship next summer.
A Treasure Retold – ‘Disney The Little Mermaid’
“Disney The Little Mermaid” will be an original Broadway-style stage adaptation of the renowned 1989 Disney Animation film developed exclusively for the Disney Wish. During this one-of-a-kind theatrical production, audiences will rediscover the iconic scenes, acclaimed music and beloved characters of “The Little Mermaid” while experiencing the story like never before.
In this modern-day retelling, the curtain will rise on an enchanted treasure chest at the moment it is discovered by a group of storytellers, led by a special young woman who has the power to unlock its magic. As they uncover the whozits and whatzits galore hidden within the trunk, the storytellers will take on the roles of Ariel, Ursula, Prince Eric, Sebastian, Flounder and more, bringing to life the immersive undersea world right before guests’ eyes. They’ll put their own contemporary spin on the timeless story of a young woman’s search for independence, love and a place in the world.
“Disney The Little Mermaid” will feature innovative theatrical design, dazzling special effects, artistic choreography, and a reimagined script and score that will surprise and delight guests of all ages.
- New orchestrations of favorite songs like “Part of Your World,” “Poor Unfortunate Souls” and “Under the Sea” will enchant audiences with moving ensemble pieces and breathtaking production numbers.
- Unexpectedly playful scenic designs and state-of-the-art video projections will transform the Walt Disney Theatre into a 360-degree undersea environment.
- Contemporary, interpretive costuming will reflect the show’s unique blending of a modern setting and a mystical, fantastical story.
- Cutting-edge puppetry will animate fantastical sea creatures and characters such as Sebastian, Flounder, Scuttle, and Flotsam and Jetsam in never-before-seen ways.
An Embarkation Celebration – ‘Disney Seas the Adventure’
On their first night aboard this enchanted ship, guests will embark on a musical voyage into some of their favorite stories during an original musical spectacular, “Disney Seas the Adventure.” When Captain Minnie hands over the helm to her dear friend Goofy, he’ll set sail into uncharted waters on a journey to discover his own inner captain. Along the way, Goofy will encounter a bevy of bold, brave and brilliant Disney and Pixar friends who encourage him to lead with his heart through rousing renditions of iconic Disney songs.
- Tiana will teach Goofy the power of hard work to make a dream come true during a lively performance of “Almost There” from Disney Animation’s “The Princess and the Frog.”
- Goofy will navigate to the big ocean blue where Crush and Squirt — the tubular turtles from Pixar’s “Finding Nemo” — show him how to “Go with the Flow” in a high-energy production of the song fans will recognize from “Finding Nemo – The Musical” at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- In an original arrangement exclusive to this show, heroines Elsa, Moana and Merida will perform a powerful medley of “Let it Go,” “How Far I’ll Go” and “Touch the Sky,” emboldening Goofy to go into the unknown.
- When Goofy loses his way and self-doubt takes hold once again, he’ll gain the courage to “Go the Distance” with the help of Hercules and a host of heroes from a variety of Disney films.
The adventure will culminate in a cavalcade of characters joining Captain Minnie and Goofy on stage during a grand farewell before leading guests out of the theater and into the Grand Hall for an unforgettable sendoff experience – the ultimate “kiss goodnight” to close guests’ first day on board.
Signature Pirate Night with a Rock-and-Roll Twist
Disney cruisers, rejoice! On one special night of every voyage, guests of all ages can don their most swashbuckling pirate garb and head to the upper decks for a rollicking rock-and-roll extravaganza unlike anything on the high seas — complete with fireworks at sea like only Disney can do — during a new take on our signature nighttime deck celebration.
Hosted by Captain Redd — a descendent of the famous red-headed rogue from the Pirates of the Caribbean theme park attractions — Pirate’s Rockin’ Parlay Party will feature live music, remarkable stunts, special effects and plenty of surprises. Throughout the party, she and her band of head-banging buccaneers will perform famous radio hits from the genre, plus a rockin’ rendition of the classic pirate tune “Yo Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me).”
When Redd assembles a fearsome council of captains, including the notorious scoundrel Captain Jack Sparrow, they’ll unlock a sparkling treasure that lights the night sky: a fantastic fireworks display underscored by an original arrangement of the sensational soundtrack from the Walt Disney Studios “Pirates in the Caribbean” films.
With all of these incredible new entertainment experiences, wouldn’t you think our collection’s complete? Well, I’m excited to say there’s even more Disney Wish family fun on the way … stay tuned for the next update!