Well plant me in the ground and call me Groot, cause Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is set to officially debut May 27 at EPCOT!
What do we already know about this awesome new family-thrill coaster attraction at Walt Disney World Resort? Well, we know people from the planet Xandar are coming to Earth and creating the first “other-world” showcase at EPCOT – the Wonders of Xandar pavilion. We know we’ll learn more about their technology and culture as we move through the pavilion, and discover how our two worlds are similar in so many ways.
But what actually happens? I’ve got an idea – or 12% of an idea, at least – based on the new commercial spot we’re debuting right here on the blog. Check it out below, and then let’s break it down!
OK so … what exactly did we just see?
- Someone shouts, “This is an SOS from Nova Corps … Our outpost on Earth’s EPCOT is in danger!” The Nova Corps is Xandar’s peacekeeping team serving as protectors of their planet and the broader Andromeda Galaxy, which is where Xandar is located. This must be a Nova Corps officer alerting us to an urgent situation.
- Clearly the Xandarians have come to EPCOT to oversee the Wonders of Xandar pavilion. I can tell because Spaceship Earth is visible outside the window, gleaming in all its glory. Oh, and because it says “EPCOT – Walt Disney World Resort” right there on the screen (nothing gets by me, I tell ya). But something is amiss because …
- Someone who appears to be a Nova Corps soldier shouts out, “Everything is disappearing!” And, yep, we see things – people, clouds, you name it – literally zipping backward out of existence. Rewinding, perhaps? Hmm …
- The officer is holding up a viewscreen communicator, and then we flash to the other end of that line … to the familiar confines of an M-Ship cockpit, where Peter Quill, a.k.a. Star-Lord, and a few of our other favorite Guardians of the Galaxy are relaxing between missions.
- Rocket is absorbed in apparently trying to “fix” Quill’s Awesome Mix tape. Thankfully, Groot is at least paying some passing attention to what’s happening on the screen in front of them and unmutes the volume – just in time to hear a distress call …
- “Help the galaxy – before it’s too late!” the officer urges – and then she, too, disappears … along with Spaceship Earth! Now we have Rocket’s attention, too, even if Star-Lord is peacefully snoozing away. (He’s been asleep this whole time? Typical.)
- Always considering himself the captain of the ship anyway, Rocket promptly takes the controls and decides to blast off for EPCOT. Because, as he says, “It’s save the galaxy time – again.”
- This is where we’ll come in, I think. As Rocket fires up the ship, we see other people zooming around the screen in Starjumpers, a type of Xandarian spacecraft. And just as the clip ends, Rocket takes the M-Ship into a jump point – the technology that allows Xandarians to travel vast distances of space in mere moments. And that’s it!
The Guardians of the Galaxy are on their way to EPCOT, and we better be ready for an intergalactic chase through time and space. It all begins May 27 when Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind releases its awesome mixtape of an attraction to the world. This is another big, magical moment in the transformation of EPCOT and the Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary celebration currently underway, which we’ve been covering here on the Disney Parks Blog. Be sure to keep following along as we prep to save the galaxy with the Guardians. Until then … I am Groot.
WOW!!🤩🤩 That was awesome!!!
As part of EPCOT’s transformation and the story of “Avengers Campus” continues, I can’t wait for see a sneak preview of “Wonders of Xandar Pavilion”, featuring the all-new ride, “Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind” in World Discovery at EPCOT!!!
And that must be time-travel, since I remember about the past where my mom as a child must be went to EPCOT Center in the 1980’s and I was a little boy in the 1990’s!!! Now, I’m ready to see the timelines and Multiverse and the history of EPCOT!!!
And with Annual Passholder preview, I’m ready to see a sneak preview of “Wonders of Xandar Pavilion” in World Discovery at EPCOT, with my family!!!
No way! I’m so excited for this to open but so bummed too. The day it opens is the day we leave to go back home after our 7 day trip to Disney. So bummed!
All the people keep flying backwards in this video. Very fast. Almost like they’re being launched. Backwards. Fast.
Probably a coincidence.
What kind of ride will this be when it opens? Virtual queue? lightening lane? Will standby be available?
Hi! We are so excited for this ride. Have they announced what the height requirement will be?