Want to ring in the new year by Cooking up the Magic at home? If so, you’re in luck because I’ve got a Disney Eats exclusive recipe for you from the EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays presented by AdventHealth – the Peanut Stew!
This delicious bite can be found at the Refreshment Outpost throughout the festival, which runs through December 30. The Peanut Stew combines sweet potatoes, mustard greens, and roasted peanuts into a can’t-miss treat that will leave you and your guests savoring every single bite. And to make it better – it’s plant-based and gluten, wheat friendly.
The tasty stew, which has origins in African culture, is quite popular in West African cuisine and is sometimes referred to as maafe. The combination of flavors will leave you with a hearty comfort meal that you’ll want to make again and again. Whether to indulge in yourself and show off your cooking skills at your New Year’s Eve celebrations this year, one thing is for sure – this Peanut Stew recipe will not disappoint!
If you’re looking for even more recipes to make, take a peek at the Disney Eats topics page for previous recipes that let you cook up the magic at home.
Now on to the Peanut Stew!
EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays presented by AdventHealth
- 1 cup shelled raw peanuts
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium white potato, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more, to taste
- 1//4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups tightly packed chopped mustard greens
- 1/4 cup ground chili paste
- 2 cups peanut butter, divided
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Spiced peanuts
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
FOR SPICED PEANUTS:
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Spread peanuts on baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, until oil begins to release from peanuts.
- Combine smoked paprika, ground cayenne, and coarse salt together in a small bowl. Add warm peanuts and stir until coated in spices.
- Cool to room temperature. Store in airtight container up to 1 week.
FOR PEANUT STEW:
- Heat canola oil in a large pot over medium heat for 5 minutes, until hot. Add onion, garlic, and ginger, and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in diced sweet and white potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Pour in vegetable stock. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add mustard greens, ground chili paste, and 1 cup of peanut butter. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add remaining cup of peanut butter, diced tomatoes, and cilantro. Stir until peanut butter is fully incorporated. Season with additional salt, to taste.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Place rice in mesh strainer and rinse with cold water until water runs clear.
- Combine rice, water, coarse salt, and canola oil in a medium saucepan. Bring water to a boil, cover, and reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Season with additional salt, to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Evenly divide white rice among bowls. Top with peanut stew. Garnish with spiced peanuts and sliced green onions.
Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
We’d love to see you make this dish from EPCOT at home. Share your culinary concoctions with #DisneyEats on your own social channels and be sure to follow us @DisneyEats.
(Note: All offerings are subject to change and availability.)