Sailing Ship Columbia at Disneyland Park

Captain EO Returns to Disneyland Resort

posted on December 18th, 2009 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Twenty-three years ago, at the height of his phenomenal entertainment career, Michael Jackson joined forces with Disney to create “Captain EO,” a groundbreaking 17-minute 3D film experience.

We are excited to confirm that the classic musical spectacular that thrilled Disneyland park guests from 1986 – 1997, will return for an exclusive, limited engagement at Disneyland park beginning in February 2010!
Captain EO Returns
The attraction’s return to Tomorrowland will provide new audiences the opportunity to experience the original 3D production for the very first time, as well as a nostalgic look back for longtime fans wanting to see “The King of Pop” in a rare performance created for the big-screen, just one more time.

Honey I Shrunk The Audience” will be closing sometime in the next few weeks to make way for the Captain’s return.

Check back here for more details on “Captain EO.”

Filed: Disneyland Resort

1 2 3

112 Comments 1 Reply

Lee on December 18th, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I think a Disneyland trip is needed right about now! Well, in February! I am SO excited about this!!

Holly on December 18th, 2009 at 2:06 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring it back to Disney World!!!!!!!!!

Brent on December 18th, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Now if we could only get it to return to EPCOT here at the Walt Disney World Resort we would be all set ;-)

Minesh on December 18th, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I will simply say what I said on my Facebook about this, and I qoute “OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Happy times ahead :)

Trang on December 18th, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Will Honey, I Shrunk the kids be PERMANENTLY remove or for the time being to make room for Captian EO?

Lorie from CA on December 18th, 2009 at 2:12 pm

YAY! I’ve been waiting for this for so long!

Holly on December 18th, 2009 at 2:16 pm

I think I would literally cry, ha as if I already don’t when i’m in disney with tears of joy……but to see Captain EO again 3-D would be the BEST THING EVER!! We’re sending a major love! And this is our message to you!! The planets are lining up…we’re bringing brighter and all the love we did for you…can’t you see??? You’re just another part of me!! (I still have my Fuzzball plush!)

Rhonda from CA on December 18th, 2009 at 2:17 pm

so planning another trip now.

Candace on December 18th, 2009 at 2:21 pm

OMG, I am beside myself. Planning a group outing as we speak – I am sooo excited!

Joseph on December 18th, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I will be making a trip down in February to see Captain EO. I remember seeing it when it originally ran at Disneyland. Can hardly wait.

Amelia on December 18th, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Yay! I remember seeing Capt. EO when I was really little. I’m glad that the rumor is true! Thank you Disney Co.!

Llance on December 18th, 2009 at 2:30 pm

So excited! New attractions and shows are great, but sometimes nostalgia is even better! : ) Thank you Disneyland for listening to what your fans want and making it happen!

Jennifer on December 18th, 2009 at 2:32 pm

This was one of my favorites as a kid!!! I am so excited!!

Paul from CA on December 18th, 2009 at 2:41 pm

WONDERFUL! IT’S LIKE CHRISTMAS CAME A WEEK EARLY! I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT AGAIN! THANKS, DISNEY!

Gregory from OR on December 18th, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I’m not one of those people who thinks Disneyland should never change and become a museum, but this is great news! If an old favorite can be brought back so painlessly for a temporary run, why not? Now I just need to find a way to get down from Portland. How long will it play?

Arcelia from CA on December 18th, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Omg! I’ve been telling my children and husband lately, how much I miss the Captain EO show and they have no idea what I’ve been talking about. Now my family will have their opportunity to finally experience it for themselves. This is going to make me feel even more as a child when we visit disneyland next year. :) I’m so excited!! Thank you. I’m sure they’ll be awed as much as I was.

Saad from CA on December 18th, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Captain EO was one of favorite. My daughter took me to Disneyland for my birthday, happens to be Thanksgiving as well; I was disappointed not being able to see Captain EO. I am thrilled it’s coming back. We look forward to visiting on February. We want to be a part changing world with you. Love OXO SG Los Angeles

breana from CA on December 18th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

It *BROKE* my 8 year old heart when Captain EO was taken out of my favoriet place.. and now this has got to be the BEST news knowing Tommorowland will be put back the way it was ment to be!!! LONG LIVE THE KING OF POP!!!!!!!!!!
Here we go baby!! Oh my GOD!! ITS HAPPENING!!!

WE ARE HERE TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!!!!! SING IT!! HEE HEEEE!!! OWW!!

“INFEDELS!! You inFECT my world with your…PRESENCE!!!”!!!

(Im tottaly geeking out like a giddy lil’ kid right now)

Marina on December 18th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I am super excited and I feel like I want to cry! I have wonderful memories of watching this with my brother and mother. Now my mom and I are planning on watching it together and remembering the good times we had. I have just a few months to fit into my t-shirt my husband found me on e-bay, from the original opening. I can’t wait, this is the best present disney cound give me for Christmas…Thanks Disney!

Steve on December 18th, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Please bring this to WDW too. :)

Mary on December 18th, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Mary from Santa Barbara, CA…..
My family and I are going in March I cant wait to see this….I only saw this one other time when I was younger!

Jonathan on December 18th, 2009 at 3:27 pm

After the upsetting news of the Lights of Winter not coming back, bringing this back to Epcot would really be a nice olive branch to the fans. Bring it to Florida too!

Brittany from MA on December 18th, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Please bring this back to Disney World, too! :D

Lea from SC on December 18th, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Does anyone know how long it will be running for? I have a trip to CA planned but not till June.

Donna from CA on December 18th, 2009 at 3:47 pm

OMG!!! I’m sooooo excited !! Thank you so much to Disney for bringing this back to the park !! Thanks for listening to your true Disney Fans (and Michael Jackson Fans, too) Now, my 5 year old and 7 year old can see Captain EO on the big screen (and in 3-D) that way it was intended. Thank you to the Jackson family for allowing this. We just want to honor the Greatest Entertainer That Ever Lived (and also one of the biggest Disney Fans, too)!! Wahhooooooo !!!! This is a GREAT Day !! Love you MJ and Disney !!

Donna from CA on December 18th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Thank you, Disney !! Can’t wait to take my children to see it in February !! What a Great Christmas Present !!! Love you MJ and Disney !!

Brett from CA on December 18th, 2009 at 3:57 pm

I have been campaigning for Captain EO’s return for AGES! YEA!!!! I am totally geeking out, too!

Jeff on December 18th, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Awesome. I still remember when I first saw this in ’89. It blew me away.

Anne on December 18th, 2009 at 4:22 pm

oh my goodness!!! I could not be more excited!!! YAYYYYY!!! THis is so awesome! Thank you to whoever at Disneyland brought Captain EO back! (and no offense but Honey I Shrunk the Kids was not a good replacement, the way EO is so captivating and draws you in, that definitely does not happen with ‘Honey…’)

Coral on December 18th, 2009 at 4:28 pm

This is so exciting!! I want to take my kids so bad!! This is the best news of the year! I hope that it stays cause it is a classic and I know that for generations it will be a major attraction. Everybody has there favorite Disney attraction. Captain EO and Pirates of the Carribean are two reasons why I go to Disneyland. Can’t wait to see it again!!

Andrew on December 18th, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Please tell me you’ll be bringing the merchandise back as well?

Heather on December 18th, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I am so excited to here they are bringing back Captain EO. Please, Please, Please bring it back to Epcot!!!! I want to see it again so much. Please don’t forget about the Captain Eo fans at Walt Disney World.

Troy on December 18th, 2009 at 5:24 pm

OMG!!! Thank you Disneyland for giving this totally awesome show back to us! I can’t wait!!!

Kristina on December 18th, 2009 at 5:37 pm

OMG!! Wow, thank you so much Disneyland for bringing back an amazing attraction and for honoring the King of Pop!!! I cannot wait to see this again, and I really hope you offer the really cool t-shirts that Captain EO wore in the film! Long live the King!!!

Jason from DE on December 18th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Disney PLEASE bring it back to Epcot!!!!! Maybe I will be lucky and they will in time for my trip there in May 2010.

Adrian on December 18th, 2009 at 6:21 pm

bring it back to EPCOT!!!!

Joseph from CA on December 18th, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Perhaps this can pave the way for a Blu-Ray release?

Q from WA on December 18th, 2009 at 7:31 pm

This is the best news ever! I will be planning a trip from WA, Australia now, but don’t think I’ll be there until late May. I can’t believe I will get to see this at Disneyland (first visit to a US Park), on the big screen for the first time! THANK YOU Disneyland! Please make it a permanent attraction forever this time!

Sarah on December 18th, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I got so excited and then I read DisneyLAND.

I’m going to Walt Disney WORLD in February. I wish it had been Epcot. :(

Diana from sonora on December 18th, 2009 at 8:05 pm

YYEEEEEYYY!!!
it was the 1st 3D i ever saw…im so exited!, i cant wait to see it and buy me another cap with lights!!!! i was the talk in school, i felt so cool ahhaha.

Miah on December 18th, 2009 at 8:20 pm

omg…mj is missing out. that kind of sucks! but at least it is coming back!

Wesley on December 18th, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I’ve been waiting for this since the day Captain EO was taken away. I simply can’t tell you how excited I am. I might go get in line right now!

Gerald on December 18th, 2009 at 8:37 pm

woohoo…already planning on renewing my ap just to be sure i get a chance to see this…

Tom from IN on December 18th, 2009 at 9:09 pm

I think a lot of people who forgot the reason this show was removed (its datedness) are going to be disappointed that it isn’t as good as they remembered. Still, kudos to Disney for bringing it back to appease the demand for the show!

David on December 18th, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Awesome. I will be wearing my light-up Captain EO visor when I go!

Jonathan on December 18th, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Please bring this back to Epcot as well, so East Coasters can get a chance at seeing it too!

Becca on December 19th, 2009 at 12:01 am

Oh Heck YES!!!!!!!!! XD its been a long time since i’ve seen it in 3D *-* it has always been one of my favorite 3D shows at Disneyland parks ^_^ Super happy they’re bringing it back in XD

Brice on December 19th, 2009 at 1:07 am

I’m shocked that the rumors we have been hearing are actually true! This is very exciting. It’s great news. It really needs to be brought back to Epcot as well! You can’t leave all of us here on the east coast out in the cold! Hopefully there will be a Blu-ray release sometime soon also. I will be first in line to buy it!

Damien from CA on December 19th, 2009 at 2:03 am

This is the most exciting news I’ve gotten probably all year. It’s nice that Disney is honoring both MJ’s memory and his contribution to generations of Disney fans by bringing back one of his best performances. Musically “Captain EO” has few equals – “We Are Here to Change the World” and “Another Part of Me” are just great, great songs. The whole experience was amazing – I remember watching the “making of” special on the Disney Channel, and just being captivated by it.

How great is it that Disney is bringing back all the classic attractions that we remember? Mr. Lincoln just made his debut on Main Street in the Disney History gallery, and now Michael is coming back to the park in grand style.

Who else is buying a “Captain EO” jacket for opening day?

Greg from CA on December 19th, 2009 at 2:15 am

Thank you for listening to the fans, and bringing back such a beloved Tomorrowland attraction. Great job Disney! I’m truly impressed!

1 2 3