Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Stretch Painting

‘World of Color’ – Behind the H2O – Making the Fountains Dance

posted on May 24th, 2010 by Steven Davison, Imagineer, Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment

I can’t believe how close we are to the opening! It’s been a crazy few months, but I’m having a great time putting together this show.

Today I’m sharing a first look at how we’re getting the fountains to “dance.” Since “World of Color” doesn’t have any live performers, the fountains will become our dancers and actors. To help with staging the fountains, we brought in Joshua Horner. Josh is a fantastic choreographer from Australia. One of his dreams was to work with Walt Disney Imagineering on a show. Well, I am glad we were able to make his dream come true!

We asked Josh to take the musical score for the show and create a style and choreographic point of view for each number. Whether it was the signature look to the show’s theme, or the lush balletic moves in “Part of Your World,” Josh put his heart and soul into the movement of each piece.

The end result of his work was inspiring. We brought the creative team together and had Josh present his ideas. For each of us it became a wonderful fount of inspiration that sparked new ideas and really helped shaped the show.

Today we’ll give you a glimpse into the process.

Tagged: , , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

katie on May 24th, 2010 at 1:44 pm

i think that something like a firework show or something like world of colours should have dancers it just adds that extra something special like in dinseylands fantasmic!!

Penny from NV on May 24th, 2010 at 2:00 pm

i am so excited to see this… i have been watching every video since it started i’ve been to disney to see for my self the progress.. i cant wait to acccualy sit infort of the show and see all the amazing work of many different people!

way to go disney!

Eric from CA on May 24th, 2010 at 2:04 pm

What a great way to think outside the box. I think it was inspiring to use live dancers as “models” for the fountains. I guess if the animators can do it, why can’t same idea be applied elsewhere? Can’t wait to see the performance.

Adam on May 24th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Another great video Steve! Continuing in the long tradition of live action references. Was awesome to see the fountains overlaying the dancers and just how well you guys were able to capture those fluid (no pun intended), very human motions with a stream of water. So very excited to see this next month!

Fred from CA on May 24th, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Great video. I think its awesome that so much thought has been put into the show. :)

Heather on May 24th, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Exciting!!!!!!!

Melissa on May 24th, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Amazing. I can’t wait to see this.

Thor from CA on May 24th, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Now I will totally be looking for Josh’s work in the fountains when I am sitting there in DCA on June 11th!!! I can’t wait for June 11th!!!

greg on May 24th, 2010 at 6:17 pm

With every little “Teaser” I get more and more excited. Just the little bits I’ve seen, blow me away! I can’t wait.

Jessica from FL on May 24th, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Looks like it’s going to be a great show but is it only at Disney Land

Fred from CA on May 24th, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Jessica;
Yes, World of Color is only at the Disneyland Resort in California.

Ralph on May 24th, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Being a residing Australian myself and having visited Disneyland 4 times (the last Just last Decemeber)its fantastic to see Josh’s talents being used and proud to see that Aussie talent has been used in developing this brilliant upcoming show.

Matthew from ID on May 24th, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Thank you Steve. This is by far one of the best videos you have shared with us. Keep ‘em coming.Thank you to all for putting not only your talents into your work, but your heart as well.

Gregory from PA on May 25th, 2010 at 1:11 am

Let me just check to make sure…, uh, YEP! Goose bumps! Just like every other World of Color video I’ve watched!

Amber on May 26th, 2010 at 11:06 am

Amazing!! There is something about those Disney soundtracks, they transform me right back to Disney World…..Loved the video and hope to see the fountain one day!

Andrew on May 26th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I would love to meet Steven Davison, the man behind the magic.

Henry from LA on May 27th, 2010 at 12:38 pm

So cool, can’t wait to see it!

Denyse from NV on May 27th, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Mr. Davison, I have been anxiously watching the development of this show from the time it was announced! Seeing your presentation at the D23 Expo was amazing and all of the behind the scenes videos you have shared with us show the passion and dedication everyone has put into this wonderful display! I was so excited to hear that the “grand premier” would be on June 11 (my birthday)!!! But unfortunately I have to wait to see this colorful creation. (hoping to see it in July)

From what I’ve seen already, we will be blown away!

Ruben on June 3rd, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Me and my family wanted to see world of color but some family members won’t be coming to California Adventure Till later. Does the person receiving the World of Color FASTPASS ticket need to be present to be able to receive it?

Ruben on June 3rd, 2010 at 2:43 pm

When will you be alowed to pick-out a spot after you have gotten your World of Color FASTPASS?

Andrew on June 9th, 2010 at 4:34 pm

It was a pleasure meeting you last night Steven