Halloween at the Walt Disney World Resort

Disney California Adventure Park Expansion Continues with Goofy’s Sky School and Cars Land

posted on August 6th, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Exciting changes continue at Disney California Adventure park. In June, “World of Color” began making a nighttime splash at the park and Silly Symphony Swings began offering a musical ride in Paradise Pier.

As you might already know, Goofy’s Sky School will add even more fun to Paradise Pier in 2011. The attraction is inspired by the 1940 cartoon short, “Goofy’s Glider.” It’s a flying academy that follows Goofy’s attempts to teach a group of novice pilots how to fly.

While you might have heard about the attraction, I know there’s one thing I know you haven’t seen … and that’s Goofy dreaming about the new attraction that’s being created in his honor. Take a look at this video and let us know what you think in the comments.

In order for Mickey and Goofy to get ready for this transformation, Mulholland Madness will close October 12, and the last time guests can go for a spin on Disney’s version of Mulholland Drive is October 11. For those who want to get a final scream on Maliboomer, you better hurry. Guests will blast off for the final time September 6, as the attraction will be closed on September 7.

We’ve also shared news here on the Blog about the 12-acre Cars Land expansion due in 2012. You might be interested in knowing that the last day to experience Bountiful Valley Farms will be September 7 as it will close September 8 to help pave the way for Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree.

Cars Land

For all the news you need to know about the changes at Disney California Adventure park, visit disneycaliforniaadventure.com or stop by the Blue Sky Cellar next time you’re in the park.

As excited as I am about seeing “World of Color” now and thinking about all that’s coming to Disney California Adventure park, I want to know what your favorite thing is to do in the park today. Please let us know in the comments.

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Amy from CA on August 6th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

How long will Bountiful Valley Farms be closed? Does that mean no Candy Corn Acres decorations this Fall?

Lisa from NV on August 6th, 2010 at 2:27 pm

That was super cute! I love M.M, but I cannot wait to see what Goofy’s Flying School will be like! I love when Disney introduces new rides!

Hayden on August 6th, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Uh-oh, is Bountiful Farms going to be closed forever? Is it going away to make room for Cars Land? I sure hope not! I’ll be sad if Sam Andreas Shakes and the Farmers Market are gone! Those are some of my favorite places to eat at in DCA.

Denelle from UT on August 6th, 2010 at 2:55 pm

In California Adventure my kids love all the rides from A Bugs Land and Soarin’ Over California. My husband’s favorite ride is the Hollywood Tower of Terror. We all loved the Toy Story Mania ride, too. I may be a geek in saying this, but my favorite is Mike and Sulley to the Rescue. :) We love it all!!! I love to just stroll through the park and take in the atmosphere. I can’t wait to see the new Cars Land!!! :)

Alethea from CA on August 6th, 2010 at 3:25 pm

We kind of wished Donald had been in the video. They just make such a good trio!

One of our favorite things to do at California Adventure is go into the animation building and hang out in that giant room. We could probably stay in that place forever if we weren’t so anxious to also go on Soarin’ Over California, Grizzly River Run (but not right after Soarin’), and Midway Mania.

Andrea from CA on August 6th, 2010 at 3:43 pm

The video is cute!

Is all of Bountiful Valley Farms going away? Or are you guys just closing it because of construction? I have always hoped that WDI would develop the area more to have some sort of ride that is cohesive with the theme. You know what would be really cool for the Halloween festivities? A corn maze!

I have two favorite things in California Adventure – Soarin’ Over California and Grizzly River Run. Soarin’ makes me feel like I’ve been on a mini vacation and I just love the themeing of the Grizzly area, reminding me of sequoias and redwoods. I really, really hope that these two attractions/areas will get some updating/expansion in the future! The Grizzly area is by far, in my honest opinion, the most beautiful area in the park. Now all we need are some wildlife animatronics to go with it!

Robert from FL on August 6th, 2010 at 3:51 pm

My current park fave is the Zephyr. It’s unique and charming.

Fred from CA on August 6th, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Cute video!

Thanks so much for the update Heather. Its good to know this info.

Leslie on August 6th, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Don’t know what the new attractions will be like, but we really liked Mulholland Madness and the Valley Farms area. Will be sad to see them gone.

Misty on August 6th, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Cute video, maybe a little animation of goofy dreaming about what it will be like???

Favorite things now? Definately Tower of Terror and Soarin. However, one of my FAVORITE things has been gone for awhile. The AWESOME restaurant that was above the wine tasting room. I loved to eat there as the parade was going by. Please, please, please bring a gourmet restaurant back!!! It was the only one with wine parings between the two parks. =(

Looking forward to the expansions!!

Dante from CA on August 6th, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Thanks for the update! :) I just hope that Goofy’s Sky School gets as much detail put into it as Silly Symphony Swings got. Not like Mickey’s Fun Wheel, which was was below my expectations. :( Oh well. I am really excited for Cars Land though. :D

Paul on August 6th, 2010 at 5:31 pm

This is great but every time I read about another attraction opening in CA I can’t help feel sad for Walt Disney World which is my home park. Sure we have Little Mermaid and some meet and great for girls coming but how about opening at least one attraction that isn’t aimed at little girls in Walt Disney World? Give us something to get excited about on the East Coast!

Roxanne on August 6th, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Are we going to be able to find corndogs somewhere in the parks after Sept. 7? We just discovered them our last visit and I know my husband is planning on 1 or more while we are there in late Sept. (don’t disappoint… he’s already upset that Toy Story Mania will be down during our visit.)

Penny on August 6th, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree sure sounds like fun! What’s that going to be? I’m looking forward to hearing more about Goofy’s flying school too! As for we we love now? Bug’s land is awesome, and soarin’ is my husband’s favorite in the whole resort. I do love Muppet Vision 3D too.

Thor from CA on August 6th, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Goofy’s Sky School AND Tow Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree look like they will be really cool, zippy rides! I can’t wait for ‘em!

My favorite thing to do this summer is to have a Glowjito at Glow Fest and watch the kids (of all ages) dance and cavort in the street. Glow Fest is my new favorite summer hangout!

Alec on August 6th, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Wow, they aren’t messing around! The transformation of Paradise Pier is one of the most exciting aspects of the refurbishment for me, seeing old bland areas become rich and detailed.

That wall from the parade gate to Mermaid will probably break some sort of record.

Angela from CA on August 6th, 2010 at 6:15 pm

thats too bad that they have to change mulholland madness. that was a really good ride. i wish they could just expand instead of changing things :(

James from NV on August 6th, 2010 at 7:05 pm

This is very sad to me I love Mulholland Madness and so do my boys. We had a lot of fun on this one

Fred from CA on August 6th, 2010 at 7:18 pm

As I understand it, Goofy’s Sky School will still have the same track layout as Mulholland Madness, but with more details and a better facade.

Nancy from CA on August 6th, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Thanks for the update, Heather!

When I heard about the theme, I immediately thought about how much I love the Barnstormer at WDW! Since that is going into re-theming, it will be great to have some of it’s charm here, with a similar ride in DCA! Great idea, especially based on the track pattern of the ride!

KIMBERLY on August 6th, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Favorite thing at DCA? One word… MUPPETS!!

Jordann on August 6th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Is the Maliboomer closing indefinitely? If so, any reason why?

Fred from CA on August 6th, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Heather, do you happen to know what will replace the Maliboomer? I have heard rumors about a little garden/character greeting area in place of it.

Fred from CA on August 6th, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I also want to add that I love the new area music in Paradise Pier! :)

Jacqueline on August 6th, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Is the Maliboomer being taken out permanently or will it be re-themed like the other rides? My family and I love going on that ride.

Barb from BC on August 6th, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Congratulations Goofy! xoxo

Elena from CA on August 7th, 2010 at 12:17 am

I LOVE California Screamin and Tower of Terror, but I could stay on Soarin’ ALL DAY!!!!!!! Can’t wait for what’s next!

Ismael from CA on August 7th, 2010 at 12:25 am

It is exciting to hear that more walls are going up in less than a month.

Since farmers market and San andrea shakes are being demolish to make room for the main entrance of Carsland do you know if there are any plans to offer the corn dogs and fish and chips as well as the shakes at other locations?

oh and in case someone doe snot get a chance ot answer the question Peter Tsz Leung asked, Its tough to be a bug is actually part of Bugsland which is connected to bountiful valley farm. Bugsland is not going anywhere it is just being downsize to include the main entrance the 3d show and flicks fun fair and a bit of the surrounding landscaping.

I just hope WDI has plans to do something about the huge Bugsland Marque, it is fun and whimsical but completely out of place to the surrounding theme that the park is being transformed to. Hopefully the Marque could be redesigned and the music for that land kept within its boundaries instead of being heard on the parade route near the winery

Ismael from CA on August 7th, 2010 at 12:29 am

Also kind to glad to see the Maliboomer being removed although it is s fun thrill. Sad to hear though that a ride is being replaced by another garden area.

I do hope that helix is in their plans to eventually be part of an attraction spot. The large helix would be perfect for another lavish building in the round to be used as queue and load while the main ride portion could be somehow fit in the backstage behind the coaster. I am sure you guys could fine another place to move the original parade building too

Amy on August 7th, 2010 at 12:50 am

This is kind of bitter-sweet news. Really hate to see Mulholland Madness go away, but I guess all things must change. It will be exciting to see all the new things. I think overall, California Adventure did need to make some changes. It just wasn’t pulling the crowds away from Disneyland enough. Hopefully this will help to even out the crowding, at least at times.

Tom on August 7th, 2010 at 1:57 am

MaliBoomer closes?! Finally!!! The ride does not belong in a Disney park, I’m so happy Disney finally sees that people do not fly all the way across the ocean to see things like MaliBoomer and Mulholland Madness…

My favorite DCA attraction: California Screamin’!!! I L-O-V-E that rollercoaster, it has the best on-ride music in the USA! (second best to the old Space Mountain in Disneyland Paris)

Brian from CA on August 7th, 2010 at 4:56 am

What is happening to the Maliboomer? Is it going down so they can match it to the new theme of Paridise Bay? To the first coment by Amy, Bountiful Valley Farms is closing because it is going to be the enterance to Radiator Spings and Flick’s Fun Fair is still going to remain and I do not see how it effects the Halloween Candy Corn Acers that occers in the Sunshine Plaza.

Anne on August 7th, 2010 at 8:52 am

So sorry to hear about Mulholland Madness. What a cute, fun ride!

We’re so excited about the changes to California Adventure, but sure wish we had known about having to have tickets in order to see World of Color. There were 3 shows the night we were there and every show was sold out. We did enjoy the party atmosphere on the other side of the park, though.

I can’t wait to go back to see all the changes!

Ruth from CA on August 7th, 2010 at 11:42 am

Of course I love Soarin’ Over California, which just may be the best ride in the DLR. However, since Toy Story Midway Mania opened, I don’t consider at trip to DCA complete if I don’t go on that cute, challenging game/ride! I wish there were pins of ALL the “prizes” guests can win at the end of the ride, instead of just some of them.

David from CA on August 7th, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Glad to see the Maliboomer is being removed. With the changes that are taking place in that section of the park, it does just not seem to fit anymore. THis park keeps getting better and better. Keep up the good work!

Kimberly from CA on August 7th, 2010 at 3:26 pm

My daughter is crushed that Maliboomer is closing! I’ve hated Mullholland Madness as a coaster since it opened. However, more flying stuff is great!

Alec on August 8th, 2010 at 12:52 am

FYI to everyone… Mulholland Madness is NOT being removed. It’s being rethemed to Goofy’s Sky School, like the Orange Stinger became the Silly Symphony Swings. If you like the ride, it’ll still be there… only better.

Maliboomer is being removed, on the other hand.

Barbara on August 8th, 2010 at 9:00 am

i love the whole park…sometimes my grandson and i come to just experience disney playhouse , monsters inc.and bugland…i myself love toy story mania, my favorite.

ALBERT from CA on August 8th, 2010 at 9:10 am

What is DCA going to do with the Maliboomer? It a cool ride and sad to see it go.

Ruth O on August 8th, 2010 at 4:40 pm

The family fave is Toy Story Mania. Plus, we enjoy checking out the videos at Blue Sky Cellar.

Fred from CA on August 8th, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Albert–The Maliboomer is being removed becuase it doesn’t fit with the new vision and theme for Paradise Pier.

Grant from TX on August 9th, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Grant from TX on August 9th, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Im going to be sad to see Maliboomer gone. Im not sure though what could fit in that space. Thats what’s confusing me. I hope that the fly school will be as good. Im sure it will though because WDI always makes great rides

Joseph on August 10th, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Will you be updating about the FANTASMIC! construction in Tokyo?

Tina on August 10th, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Just a quick question – someone told be that The Tower of Terror is being demolished because it doesn’t fit the new theme coming for the park….is this true?????

Darrin on August 10th, 2010 at 5:18 pm

My son and I are sad to see our two favorite rides going away. We love that park. So we may have to make the 650 mile journey before our planned Oct trip to take in madness and maliboomer one last time :(

Sarah from CA on August 11th, 2010 at 3:20 am

Is the water play area (the big one) right across from “It’s Tough to be a Bug” being ripped out too?

Makenzie on August 13th, 2010 at 6:52 pm

NOOOOOO! But I love the Maliboomer! :(

Alex on August 14th, 2010 at 4:00 am

Noooooooooooooo!!!! PLEASE NO! Maliboomer was the BEST ride EVER!

Chris on August 18th, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Tina, the Tower of Terror rumor is completely false. I’ve not heard of any plans to take down that attraction; just the ones mentioned here.

It’s too bad the farm area is going away, but I hate to admit I’ve not been through it in years. I imagine it’s that way for a lot of other guests too, so it makes sense to make better use of the space as the entrance to Cars Land (which, btw, I’m super-jazzed for!).