Enjoy the nighttime extravaganza Fantasmic! at Disney Parks

Meet the Disneyland Resort Sign Shop Cast

posted on August 31st, 2010 by Betsy Sanchez, Manager of Media Relations, Disneyland Resort

If you’ve ever been to Disneyland Park, you’ve undoubtedly used a sign or two to get you from land to land! As I continue to show you the Disneyland Resort through the work and eyes of our cast, I’d like you to meet some of the handiest folks this side of Main Street, U.S.A., our cast members at the Disneyland Resort Sign Shop. These talented individuals use various techniques – from sketching to painting to carving – in creating the unique signs you see all over the Resort. Check out the video below to hear more about the detail that goes into creating each and every sign!

Tagged: , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Cast Member Profiles, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Fred from CA on August 31st, 2010 at 3:20 pm

That was a really cool video!

Michelle on August 31st, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Interesting video! I love seeing behind-the-scenes stuff that most guests never think about. :)

Richard from FL on August 31st, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I’ve always been fascinated by the signage found around Disney theme parks. From the famous plaque outside The Haunted Mansion down to the uniquely-themed signs identifying the restrooms, there is so much room for creativity and individual expression when working on them. It’s these little details that separate Disney parks from the rest.

Ricky B
Inside the Magic

Elsa on August 31st, 2010 at 3:35 pm

This is so neat. I love that there are signs that are still hand painted today even at Disneyland. I’ve dabbled in graphic design myself and this would be an interesting career to have at the park.

Jonathan on August 31st, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Alright, I commented about wanting to work in the signs department a month or so ago. Now you guys are just teasing me. Where do I apply? :D

Ramiro from TX on August 31st, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I’m a graphic artist and that is my dream job. I wonder if WDW has openings.

Jud on August 31st, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Wow! Great to see this! I have been a woodcarver and have always loved signage- and it has always been one of my favorite things at WDW! Is this shop on any backstage tour at DL?

Erin on August 31st, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Thats soo cool!! Thanks for doing what you do to make Disneyland the special place it is!!!

jeffrey on August 31st, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Incredible. After all these years of seeing the signs I always took them for granted. I never really realized they were all designed and made by hand. Keep up the great work!

Monica on August 31st, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Great Video!!! Congrats to all, is a great job! love it! :)

Benny on August 31st, 2010 at 6:44 pm

That’s so amazing and incredibly detailed! I always honor CMs for a moment whenever I see signs like that at the resort. Even little temporary ones, like when there’s a special band playing, cause ordinary theme parks don’t take time to do that. That’s the magical Disney difference! :)

Hannette on August 31st, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I loved seeing how they applied the gold to that one sign, beautiful!

I always like looking at not just the signs at DLR, but there are always detailed, interesting things to look at both above and below your own eye level–even some of the manhole covers are interesting! I love looking above me (straight up) when I am in line (not walking, ha ha) for Indiana Jones, and other attractions.

Think I could get the Pin Trading sign behind Jeff in the video…? :-) (I’m a pin trader/collector since 2001.)

Andrew on August 31st, 2010 at 7:25 pm

You guys do great work that adds so much to the beauty of Disneyland. You deserve the spotlight. I’ll think of you this Saturday when I visit.

Fred from CA on August 31st, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I really like how Disneyland always tries to theme the temporary signs that state when an attraction is closed for refurbishment. Of course, those are the signs that no one likes to see, but I still like how they are kept in theme.

Catherine on August 31st, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Quite the educational video. It’s good to see what goes on behind the scenes. Such proud craftsmanship.

Marcy from CA on August 31st, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Bravo! Disneyland signs are simply amazing. Great little works of art each and everyone!

Gloria on August 31st, 2010 at 8:50 pm

i take photos of signs and windows at disneyland resort. i enjoyed this article a LOT. your work is appreciated!!!

Nicole on August 31st, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this video. I love seeing all the behind the scenes footage. It’s so interesting to find out how certain things are achieved. I love that the “Lincoln” sign was done the old fashioned way, by hand. That’s one of the many things that make Disneyland so special. The staff take the time to make sure the finest details are taken care of.
Ahhhh….Only at Disney!!!

Skip from FL on August 31st, 2010 at 9:43 pm

WDW’s use of purple on the road information signs is nice.

lab on August 31st, 2010 at 10:27 pm

You guys are the reason I paint signs in my hometown! I visit just to check out the new stuff. Inspiring! Self-taught rocks, old school way to go!

Ian on August 31st, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I love my signs, If this was the shop that did them. We won the Mickey Mouse Penthouse during the Year of a Million Dreams. And for the parade the fire truck had 2 signs, they said Santa Ana instead of Santa Cruz. They were fixed and UPS’d back home to me. This sign shop rocks! Thanks for sharing and I will cherish them forever.

Kristine from CA on September 1st, 2010 at 7:57 am

Great video! I’d love to see more behind-the-scenes stuff like this one.

Also: it’s kind of comforting to see that things are made in such a from-scratch, traditional sort of way.

Terri on September 1st, 2010 at 8:23 am

Love learning about the different “behind the scenes” jobs at DLR! Keep ‘em coming!

Aaron from OR on September 1st, 2010 at 9:43 am

More of this, please! The sign shop and topiary behind-the-scenes videos are FABULOUS!

Sandy from IN on September 1st, 2010 at 12:54 pm

What a wonderful behind-the-scenes look at some extremely talented CastMembers! As an artist myself, I am in awe with their work and would love to become one of their ranks down in Florida! :-) Thank you for such great inspiration!

Douglas from MD on September 1st, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Another great video, As usual! Keep them coming please!

Ryan on September 1st, 2010 at 8:52 pm

What a neat job for Disneyland. How about the job were you film the park like these videos here?

Sandra on September 2nd, 2010 at 12:51 am

I know it’s a lot work, to keep everything looking so good. I love seeing how things are done. It’s good to see some things are handled the, old school, way.
See ya real soon.

Scott from NY on September 2nd, 2010 at 12:12 pm

This is great!

TRACY from CA on September 2nd, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Where do I sign up???

Dale from MD on September 2nd, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Love it!! You all are truly artists.

Does WDW have a similar sign shop?

mark on September 3rd, 2010 at 7:54 am

Thats a job I’d do! In fact I’d Pay to purchase replica signs as a collectible! I’d love to see some miniatures of signs like the Tiki Room, or the Adventureland Entrance.

David from UT on September 6th, 2010 at 11:58 am

Wonderful presentation! As a designer and guest artist for Disney, I walk around the park and signs are one of my main photo subjects. Great presentation of the amazing work that these artists undertake for our enjoyment!

Alyssa on September 7th, 2010 at 12:42 am

Wow! I definitely will appreciate all the signs and graphics around the park the next time I visit! Amazing!