Show Disney.com Hide Disney.com
Country Bear Christmas Special at Magic Kingdom Park

Running a Marathon Just Got Easier at Disney

posted on September 2nd, 2010 by Darrell Fry, Sports Media Director, Walt Disney World

Disney Marathon Runners

Runners who have experienced Disney’s marathon and half marathon events know how the whimsy and friendliness of the parks appeal to first-timers, but now there’s an added incentive to get up and go.

Jeff Galloway, one of the leading marathon trainers in the country, has just signed on as the official training consultant to the new “runDisney’’ series of endurance events. Galloway, who is renowned for helping runners complete their first marathons, will be offering his unique training tips and programs at all runDisney events as well as at rundisney.com and facebook.com/rundisney.

The “runDisney’’ series is the new name for the collection of Disney endurance events that now all live under the runDisney brand. The series includes the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend presented by CIGNA, Disney’s Princess Half Marathon Weekend presented by Lady Foot Locker, the inaugural Wine & Dine Half Marathon and, of course, the upcoming Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend.

So, let’s get off the sofa, lace up those sneakers and get going. With Galloway’s help, you can take on any runDisney event and make it all the way to the finish line.

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Special Events, Walt Disney World Resort

Debra on September 2nd, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Great news. Galloway is one of the big training gurus, and many people on my running team (go DISboards & WISH) follow his plans. Btw, when did you change the name to “runDisney.” I noticed it the other day but don’t know when the change took place.

David from NY on September 2nd, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Fantastic news! Jeff Galloway has been helping people “Run Until They’re 100″ forever. Great addition to the “runDisney” team.

Jodi on September 2nd, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I would love to see a group/series on how to train for all the distances and then give an opportunity for entry. I’ve never done something like this and would be interested in ideas on how to achieve.

Kim from ON on September 2nd, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I ran the Disney World Marathon as my 1st and *ahem* only Marathon in 2009. Nothing and I mean nothing beats crossing that line and getting those Mickeys Ears. I earned them every step of the way. The hardest, most wonderful thing I could have ever done. So lucky to have Jeff Galloway join the runDisney team. Such great news!

Shannon on September 3rd, 2010 at 10:06 am

This is great news. I’m using his program for the full in January. Go WISH!

Mary on September 3rd, 2010 at 10:26 am

My daughter, cousins, and I finished the Princess Half Marathon in March; this weekend, my daughter and I are going to Disneyland for its half marathon so we can get our ‘coast to coast’ medals. (Those are awarded to people who finish a half/full marathon at WDW and DL in the same calendar year.) What a beautiful place to hold an endurance event!!

Ron from NY on September 4th, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I like this, all the endurance races under rundisney. Any chance of a race like the Disney Princess half marathon geared toward men?