Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Vintage Walt Disney World: The Force Lands at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

posted on January 12th, 2012 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

The grand opening and dedication for the Star Tours attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios took place Jan. 13, 1990. Back in August 1989, the entrance and queue area for the attraction were still under construction, as seen below.

“The

The queue area was inspired by Return of the Jedi, with Imperial forces invading the Ewok village on the forest moon of Endor. Most impressive is the towering 35-foot Imperial All-Terrain Armored Transport Walker (AT-AT) near the attraction’s entrance. (Don’t be too impressed with my Star Wars vehicle knowledge. I cheated and looked it up … and I was pronouncing it A-T A-T by mistake.)

If you haven’t had a chance to experience the new Star Tours –The Adventures Continue in 3-D, you need to make your way over to Disney’s Hollywood Studios for a fun adventure. Of course, if you’re going to arrive by AT-AT, just be careful while parking…

“The

(Disclaimer: The above composite was used to promote Star Wars Weekends in 2010. Dates for the 2012 event can be found here).

Filed: Disney History, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

Ramiro from TX on January 12th, 2012 at 10:35 am

Great Photo!!!

for the record A-T-A-T is also acceptable.

I always love the Star Wars Weekends posters. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with this year.

Nate Rasmussen on January 13th, 2012 at 8:48 am

I feel vindicated knowing I wasn’t totally wrong. Yes!

Laura on January 12th, 2012 at 1:23 pm

My favorite ride :) Something about seeing a real life-size AT-AT, well, that’s just magical! Loooove the SWW posters.

Nate Rasmussen on January 13th, 2012 at 8:50 am

Here’s a couple of fun facts about that Star Wars Weekends ad. The Cast Member in the photo is a copywriter from Yellow Shoes, and that Orange car in front of the AT-At is the art director’s vehicle.

Jessica on January 12th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Technically, A-T A-T is also correct. I know some people who pronounce it that way because A-T S-T is pronounce that way. AT-At just sounds better, in my opinion.

My boyfriend is a HUGE Star Wars nerd and he loves the revamp. I mean, he loved it before, but now that more characters and planets he loves it even more. We can never seem to make it during SWW but hopefully we can this year. I know he’d love it.

robert on January 12th, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Love those two pictures! :) Speaking of the new version of Star Tours….we all discussed the experience after it first reopened last year and all agreed that the Update was Excellent!

Samantha on January 12th, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I always enjoy the Star Wars Weekend photos! They are so creative and so fun!

Amber on January 12th, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Hey, I have that bottom photo! It was so neat that the photo pass card that year gave you 6 Star Wars Weekends pictures. We’ve gone 2009/10/11 and are saving and planning for this year’s trip!

Donald on January 13th, 2012 at 8:48 am

This is gonna be great. Finish up Star Wars Weekend here, the head out for Kim Possible Weekend (Kimvention) in Long Beach the next weekend!

Ramiro from TX on January 13th, 2012 at 10:31 am

Nate,
as a graphic designer I’ve felt that for years my dream job would be to work for Yellow Shoes.
I even have the little yellow shoes wind up toy on my desk to remind me of what I’m working towards.

Maybe one day… :-)

Jeff on January 14th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

My wife, son, and I were there that day 22 years ago. Great memories and good pictures. George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill were there. Also, Jim Henson, Kermit the Frog, and Michael Eisner were at Disney/MGM that day too. Jim Henson announced he was selling the Muppets to Disney.