Via Napoli Restaurant, Italy Pavilion at Epcot

New Posters from Disney Design Group Highlight the Luckier Side of 2013

posted on January 1st, 2013 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

New Posters from Disney Design Group Highlight the Luckier Side of 2013

One fun part of being an author for the Disney Parks Blog is interviewing Disney Design Group artists. These talented women and men create artwork found on merchandise at Disney Parks, Disney Cruise Line and even Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa at Ko Olina. Each artist has a distinctive art style which has been captured in a new art program for 2013. I spoke with artist Dave Keefer, whose posters, shown above, served as a catalyst for this project.

“Before we created the ‘Believe in Magic’ program, we had many ideas for the direction of the 2013 dated merchandise,” explained Dave. “During the development process, we played off the idea of lucky versus unlucky. For some people, the number 13 is an unlucky number, but I thought the opposite. I drew a quick sketch that had an ‘always lucky’ number 13 emerging from an upside down Sorcerer Mickey’s hat. The poster concept was well received, so other artists submitted their takes on 2013.”

New Posters from Disney Design Group Highlight the Luckier Side of 2013

Thirteen artists submitted posters which became a part of an over-sized 13-month calendar. Artists created two slightly different versions of their posters for Disneyland park and Walt Disney World Resort. Patty Landing selected the lucky “Baker’s Dozen” for her poster.

“I’ve been supporting the consumables department, so it was natural for me to design a sweets-themed poster,” said Patty. “I enjoy a vintage art style, which I tried to capture with the colors and design for my poster.”

New Posters from Disney Design Group Highlight the Luckier Side of 2013

Thomas Scott used the phrase “lucky duck” as the inspiration for his poster.

“I used ‘lucky duck’ as no other artist claimed the phrase,” explained Thomas. “I wanted my posters to look unique and happy, so I designed them using my favorite high-contrast art style.”

New Posters from Disney Design Group Highlight the Luckier Side of 2013

For 2013, a new monthly pin and Vinylmation collection will also use this artwork. We recently released a set of 48 paper coasters and a set of four mini serving dishes with the art. Look for some limited edition D-Tech on Demand covers for the iPhone next year, and some online exclusive apparel items are coming to the Disney Parks online store in the spring.

Finally, you can meet artist Dave Keefer on Friday, January 4, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at D Street in Downtown Disney West Side. Additional artist meet and greet events will be held throughout 2013.

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Jeffrey on January 1st, 2013 at 10:39 am

Aw man…Vinyls AND pins?! I just wanted the calender! I simply cannot wait for all the cool merch this year!

David on January 1st, 2013 at 10:58 am

WOOOOOOW!!! LOVE all of it!
As a WDW cast member, I’m looking forward to collecting the “13″ merch.
And I’m extra thrilled to see Oswald in the mix!!!
Couldn’t 2013 be the year of Oswald??? More Oswald merch!! LOL

Sandra on January 1st, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Will the WDW calendar and vinylmation (specifically the Minnie Mouse Bakeshop) be available on the disney store website? If not, would I be able to call a WDW shop and have them ship it? Thanks!

Steven Miller on January 3rd, 2013 at 11:53 am

@Sandra – The calendar won’t be offered via the online store. Your best option would be to contact Disney Parks and Resorts Merchandise Guest Services at 1-877-560-6477 or send an email to: merchandiseguestservices@disney.go.com

Reference these item numbers:
Disneyland Resort Cover – 400006937629
Walt Disney World Resort Cover – 400006937612

The Vinylmation figures, however, will be carried each month via the online store. We recently offered the first figure as a “Facebook First” for fans of the Vinylmation store on Facebook. It is now available via the Disney Parks online store:

Nicolette on January 1st, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Loving everything as usual! Would love to get my hands on the coasters! The Minnie’s Bakeshop is to die for!! Can I get a SKU. I will have to phone order. Thanks!

Steven Miller on January 3rd, 2013 at 11:56 am

@Nicolette – Here is the item number for the coaster set – 400006905598

Tim on January 1st, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I see that the Water Tower is being used as the Hollywood Studios logo, is the hat going away?

Chrissy on January 1st, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I LOVE all three of these, but don’t collect Vinyls or pins (anymore). Will these be available as posters??? I *still* collect those!!!

Steven Miller on January 3rd, 2013 at 2:38 pm

@Chrissy – You will be happy to know that both the Disneyland and Walt Disney World versions of these posters are now available via the Art on Demand kiosks in the gallery locations.

Chrissy on January 1st, 2013 at 8:52 pm

…sorry, I should clarify…will the posters (and/or calendar) be available for sale??? Thanks!!!

Brian from NJ on January 1st, 2013 at 10:45 pm

The posters look great, but just one question. Why is the Earful Tower used as Disney’s Hollywood Studios icon instead of Mickey’s Sorcerer Hat?

Steven Miller on January 3rd, 2013 at 2:43 pm

@Tim and Brian – My gut tells me they chose the Earful Tower since Sorcerer Mickey wearing his hat was already being used in the artwork (better balance than having two Sorcerer Hats). A few of the design folks have been on vacation, so I’m hoping to cofirm when they return to the office.

Alison on January 1st, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I already bought the calendar because Oswald is on it. Which other items will Oswald specifically be on? Hoping all of it: the pin, Vinylmation, coaster, mini dish, and iPhone case! Love Oswald and live all the new offerings!

Steven Miller on January 3rd, 2013 at 2:45 pm

@Alison – I know that the Oswald artwork is one of the 48 paper costers in that set. I also know there will be an iPhone case. I’m unsure at this point if they will have a pin or Vinylmation. I believe it is something they are considering but no final confirmation / release date yet.

Gregory from PA on January 2nd, 2013 at 6:33 am

The 2013 logo merchandise is spectacular! I love all of it!

Sharon from VA on January 4th, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Any Figment appearances?

Steven Miller on January 4th, 2013 at 2:41 pm

@Sharon – There wasn’t any specific artwork created for this program using Figment. I’m hoping that you have seen this article from my fellow author Michelle Harker –

I’ll have to check with the development teams to see what new Figment merchandise may be found this year. Stay tuned.

Chris on January 5th, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Steven, I missed the Dave Keefer signing yesterday. Will he be making another appearance later this month or year? I’d like to have all 13 of the calendar posters signed.

Steven Miller on January 7th, 2013 at 10:00 am

@Chris – I’m so sorry to hear you weren’t able to attend. I don’t know of any additional appearances for him at this point. I’d have to check with the Merchandise Special Events team.

Mark on January 8th, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Looking forward to checking in on the 29th! Will be buying up some of the new merch!!! Will look great in my home!

Nicole on January 11th, 2013 at 1:46 pm

will these posters be used for t-shirts as well

Sheila on January 24th, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Where and when can I purchase the Disneyland calendar, pins, coasters and little plates? I love them all!