The Cadillac Mountain Range in Cars Land at Disney California Adventure Park

Vintage Walt Disney World: Morocco Pavilion Opens at Epcot

posted on September 5th, 2013 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

This week back in 1984, the Morocco Pavilion opened to guests at Epcot. Featuring replicas of well-know Moroccan landmarks, this was the first new pavilion in World Showcase since the park’s opening. Here’s an aerial view of the pavilion still under construction back in March of 1984.

Vintage Walt Disney World: Morocco Pavilion Opens At Epcot

Koutoubia Minaret, the tower located at the Morocco Pavilion, is a replica of the one found at Koutoubia Mosque in the city of Marrakech. This World Showcase pavilion is also home to two restaurants – Restaurant Marrakesh and the Tangierine Cafe.

Vintage Walt Disney World: Morocco Pavilion Opens At Epcot Vintage Walt Disney World: Morocco Pavilion Opens At Epcot

Whether it is enjoying the ambiance, browsing the shops or sampling the local cuisine, the Morocco Pavilion is a great place to spend some time while traveling the World Showcase. You just never know what Disney friends you might catch a glimpse of too while visiting.

Filed: Disney History, Epcot, Walt Disney World Resort

Nick on September 5th, 2013 at 9:37 am

I absolutely love these posts. Keep ‘em coming Nate, especially anything about Epcot!

Nate Rasmussen on September 6th, 2013 at 8:00 am

Thanks. I’m glad you enjoy them.

Anthony on September 5th, 2013 at 9:50 am

I really like the layout of the Morocco pavilion. It’s seems to wrap around on itself like a maze.

I know it’s asking a lot but I hope Disney has plans to open some more pavilions soon!

As always, I love the construction and vintage photos.

Kristina on September 5th, 2013 at 10:58 am

I agree with Anthony! I love going deep into the back of the Moroccan pavilion, it’s like getting lost in the markets of a foreign city. Also, NEW PAVILIONS! I love “visiting” different countries, need some fresh ones.

Jeff from OH on September 5th, 2013 at 11:35 am

Thanks Nate. We just had lunch at Tangierine Café in the Moroccan village and got to visit with Jasmin as we were coming out of the restaurant.

Nate Rasmussen on September 6th, 2013 at 8:00 am

You’re welcome. I have had plenty of lunches at The Tangierine Cafe – it’s always delicious.

Nicholas on September 5th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

The Moroccan pavilion is my favorite of The World Showcase. The food at The Tangierine Cafe is in my eyes some of the best in WDW and is such a great hidden treat. Not a lot of people eat there so it is great to get a spot on the patio in the sun and listen to the music!

Dustin on September 5th, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Love the Aladdin & Jasmine photo! And such a great pavilion too– so immersive and such great detail.

Nate Rasmussen on September 6th, 2013 at 8:04 am

I love this photo of Aladdin and Jasmine as well.

anthony from NV on September 5th, 2013 at 8:15 pm

love Morocco. it’s my favorite place in WDW

Kai on September 6th, 2013 at 4:28 am

When I was on the Segway tour at EPCOT we were told by our guide that the building of this pavilion was overseen by someone in the Moroccan royal family (I think it was a prince), is that true? If that is right, this pavilion is one of the most authentic pavilions at EPCOT, and we love it. It is even better when you are riding through it on Segways before it opens to the public!

Nate Rasmussen on September 6th, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Hi Kai, thanks for the question. I spoke with the Walt Disney Archives and it doesn’t appear the prince was involved. It appears that King Hassan II had a personal hand in the design. Once the preliminary design was completed, a detailed scale model was delivered to the Royal Architect, who reviewed it with the King for authenticity and artistic effect. Also, her Royal Highness Lalla Meriem, princess of the Kingdom of Morocco, represented her father, King Hassan II, in ceremonies dedicating the Morocco pavilion.