Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion Stretch Painting

A Lost Art: Making Candy Canes at Disneyland

posted on December 9th, 2009 by Valarie Sukovaty, Disneyland Public Relations

One of my favorite hidden treats at Disneyland park during the holidays is to watch the candy makers on Main Street, U.S.A. at the Candy Palace. You can watch the lost art of candy cane making, a tradition dating back to 1968. They also make other fresh holiday treats like peppermint bark and snow man caramel apples! Call the Candy Kitchen hotline at 714-781-0112 to see what treats they are making and when.

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Bob on December 9th, 2009 at 2:32 pm

What an interesting lost art it is! Candy canes and peppermint bark are my favorite holiday treats and this definitely made me want a hand-made candy cane! If only I could get to Disneyland from NC quickly… ºOº Thanks again for sharing another great holiday magic secret with us!

NCDisneyDad Bob ºOº

AJ from TX on December 9th, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Wonderful video, DisneyParks! Thanks for showing us such grand traditions.

Robert from TX on December 9th, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Yumm!

Krystal on December 9th, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Wow…I had no idea…thank you for sharing! And Happy Holidays to you!

Kelly on December 9th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Does anyone know if this is also done at Magic Kingdom?

Maria on December 9th, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Wow! Thats crazy! Thats a lot of work! But thank you!

Jennifer on December 9th, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Very cool! Loved seeing a little bit of behind-the-scenes Holiday magic at Disneyland.

Marta from AZ on December 9th, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Love it!! Makes me want to come visit so I can buy one to enjoy! Merry Christmas!

Maria from CA on December 9th, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Disneyland makes the best candy. I do not like candy corn however my daughter does and when we went for Halloween she convinced me to buy her some. It was delicious. Only the magic at Disneyland could get me to eat candy corn and like it.

Heather from IN on December 9th, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I love to watch the candy shop artists make candy,I can remeber going to the park since I was a small child.. We’ve always stopped to watch what they were working on… My favorite is the giant chocolate covered strawberries in the spring.

debbie on December 9th, 2009 at 8:04 pm

If you could can you share more films about other candy dishes that you make such as peanut brittle and other goodies…Thank you

Alyson from Negros Oriental on December 9th, 2009 at 8:37 pm

i love it!! i’ve never bought a candy cane from disneyland, but maybe now i will. :)

Melanie from NC on December 9th, 2009 at 9:12 pm

That’s so cool. I wish they did this at Walt Disney World. Watching the strawberry dipping and the caramel apple-making will have to suffice!

brad from MO on December 9th, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Wonderful memories! Makes me want to make a run to Disneyland for Candy Canes and oh a quick stop at the Walt Disney Museum.

Justine from SK on December 9th, 2009 at 11:47 pm

I want one! That looks awesome!

Mary on December 10th, 2009 at 12:17 am

Mary from Santa Barbara, CA….

WOW!!!when you think Disney has show some of their magic then you get to see these amazing Cast Members who make these delicious candy canes. But just walking in to the Candy Store at Disneyland your mouth just waters with the delicious smells! YUMMY

Michael on December 10th, 2009 at 5:39 am

Amazing video. These really highlight what is special about visiting a Disney park. Keep bringing these types of posts. Thank you. Now I want to plan a trip!

Terri on December 10th, 2009 at 7:15 am

The Candy Palace is truly one of my favorite places at Disneyland! I love watching them make candy! Thanks for sharing the lost art of making candy canes by hand! Loved it!

:0) Terri from Texas

Krista on December 10th, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I enjoyed watching this. Thanks!

Karen from CA on December 10th, 2009 at 6:19 pm

I’m glad Disneyland continues with these little things. They might appear so insignificant, yet in a world that is constantly changing and old practices are dropped and subsequently forgotten, it is nice to know that those with the means to do so, are willing to hold onto that which has sentimental value to many.

melanie on December 11th, 2009 at 3:11 am

Another reason why Disneyland is so special. These little special touches mean so much to so many people.

Blaine from IL on December 12th, 2009 at 1:45 am

Does anyone by chance know if they do this for Disney World’s Magic Kingdom too? Thanks!!