Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse Statue at Walt Disney World Resort

Catapult Back to 1982 at Flynn’s Arcade at ElecTRONica

posted on October 7th, 2010 by Robin Trowbridge, Entertainment Show Director, Disneyland Resort.

So, I posted a question last week: what do aliens, gorillas, and bugs all have in common? What if I asked what do Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, and Centipede all have in common? Would that help?

Well, peg those jeans, crimp that hair, and get ready to take a trip back to 1982. Because the answer to the question lies within the doors of Flynn’s Arcade. Yes, before you know it, you’ll be playing TRON and other classic 80s arcade games all night long!

Very soon, guests will have a chance to relive the days when PAC-MAN was king as our incredibly talented Imagineers at Walt Disney Imagineering have recreated Flynn’s Arcade from the upcoming film “TRON: Legacy” — exclusively for ElecTRONica at Disney California Adventure park.

Schematic of Flynn's Arcade at ElecTRONica Schematic of Flynn's Arcade at ElecTRONica

Flynn's Arcade at ElecTRONica at Disney California Adventure park

Flynn’s Arcade, of course, was owned by Jeff Bridges’ character Kevin Flynn and was first seen in the original “TRON” film. Since Kevin Flynn’s disappearance in the late 80s, this fictional arcade has been boarded up and powered down…until now!

Here’s something else for you, since all the games in Flynn’s Arcade will require token use, we thought we would give you a look at how the game token went from concept and design…

Flynn's Arcade Token Concept & Design

to the actual token itself.

Flynn's Arcade Token

Pretty cool, huh? Once you get your token, you can use it or keep it. It’s up to you!

That’s all for now, but don’t forget ElecTRONica opens October 8 and runs Friday through Sunday this fall, and select holiday weeks from 6:00 p.m. to Park close, only at Disney California Adventure park. See you there!

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Joshua on October 7th, 2010 at 1:05 pm

How much will the tokens cost?

Robin Trowbridge on October 7th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Joshua, you asked about the cost of the coin, well, Thor got it right. The tokens will have a 25 cent value. And, all games take just ONE coin to play! Cool, right?

Thor from CA on October 7th, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Tokens! Talk about a blast from the past! I can’t wait to put my dollar in a machine and get four tokens back. Please tell me there will be those old clunky brown token machines sitting in the corner that arcades had back in the 1980′s.

This is all looking great, and as much as I miss Glow Fest and the fun we had this summer, I keep getting more excited for ElecTRONica.

Disneyland sure thought of everything on this one. Even tokens!

Jim on October 7th, 2010 at 2:05 pm

So wish I could be there for this!!

Ed from CA on October 7th, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Will Flynn’s be open during normal DCA hours or only when the special ElecTRONica event is happening?

Robin Trowbridge on October 7th, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Flynn’s is a part of the ElecTRONica offerings on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings as well as select holiday weeks.

Jon from CA on October 7th, 2010 at 2:20 pm

The tokens were better at Comic Con! Same “Flynns Arcade” side, but had the games on the back! And how can they credit all the imagineers, when Flynns is a copy of what was at Comic Con the past couple years? And that was created by Former WDI!

Jeffrey from UT on October 7th, 2010 at 2:28 pm

From what was stated “Once you get your token, you can use it or keep it. It’s up to you!” I believe that you get one free token to use or keep. As for extra tokens I am guessing disney wont be doing that to limit long lines in the arcade. Although anything is possible. So we will see.

Suzanne on October 7th, 2010 at 2:39 pm

We’ll be there on the 9th and 10th celebrating my sister’s 50th birthday. Looks like she won’t be the only vintage game in town! Frogger anyone?

Anonymous on October 7th, 2010 at 3:36 pm

cast preview tonite. whoo, hoo!

Fred from CA on October 7th, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Awesome! :)

I’m really looking forward to ElecTRONica and seeing Flynn’s Arcade.

Vintage video games are fun!

Anonymous on October 7th, 2010 at 5:17 pm

This looks great. Why don’t they do this at WDW in Florida with the generic arcade in tomorrowland?

Jacob from FL on October 7th, 2010 at 5:20 pm

This looks great! Why don’t they do this in the generic arcade in tomorrowland at WDW in Florida? DL seems to get all the love.

michael from ON on October 7th, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Any idea what time ElecTRONica will be starting at during the month of October? Just need an idea of when to get to the parks =)

Loree on October 7th, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Do you think this will run through next Summer? My hubby would love to take our little man on a “time warp” when we are there in June.

Chris on October 7th, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I wasn’t too jazzed about ElecTRONica before, but this sounds like a lot of fun. I forwarded this post to a friend of mine and she says, “All I wanna know is…will they have Frogger?” :)

Bobby from CA on October 7th, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Obviously its in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot at DCA. But what did it replace or where was it built in that area?

jackie from AZ on October 7th, 2010 at 7:34 pm

How long will Flynn’s be open?

Alonso on October 7th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Bobby –

Flynn’s Arcade will go in the Stage 12 Building in Hollywood Pictures Backlot. It used to house the Hollywood and Dine restaurant, but that closed years ago. Now it’s only used for special events at the park.

Fred from CA on October 7th, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Bobby–Flynn’s Arcade is in the old Hollywood and Dine building.

Skip from FL on October 7th, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Being a coin collector, I would want to keep the token. In fact, I have a Disney Quest token already.
To all the unfamiliar Disneyland guests: Disney Quest is a five story indoor interactive theme park in Downtown Disney Westside at Walt Disney World. The vast majority of arcade games are included with admission, the few that need tokens give out tickets to be traded in for prizes.
My vote’s for Arkenoid (the original pong/breakout type game with a paddle and a ball); provided it has a turn knob instead of a joy stick.

Allan on October 8th, 2010 at 11:38 am

Will ElecTRONica be open the weekend of December 10th?

Sean on October 8th, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I’m not able to get back to Disneyland until October of 2011. I know it will probably be gone by then…but I wish I could get out there now just to get my hands on one of those tokens. Very cool.

Dan on October 10th, 2010 at 8:18 pm

there going to be any special tron stuff in florida?

Eric on October 30th, 2010 at 10:50 am

I cant wait to play some classic games at Flynns! is there a number we can call to see if certain games are working? I want to play Defender! but wont go if its not working. also is there a current Flynns game list available on line?

Eric