The American Idol Experience at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Guest Images Come to Life at Disney Parks

posted on January 20th, 2011 by Alan Bruun, Director of Let The Memories Begin Projections Project

When we announced, as a part of the Let The Memories Begin Campaign, that we would be projecting photographs and videos of our guests every night on Cinderella Castle in Florida and it’s a small world in California, many of my friends and colleagues responded with “Huh?” So I thought I would give you a clearer picture of what is going to be an amazing musical and visual spectacle this year.

Using high-power projection systems and digital mapping techniques that I don’t even begin to understand, the surfaces of these two beloved icons will be transformed through animation, photography and technical ingenuity. Using our guests’ photographs and videos as a starting point, and a WONDERFUL musical score as our guide, Let The Memories Begin will be a fanciful, imaginative, heart-warming and FUN look at the magical memories associated with a visit to Disney Parks. Here’s a look at what to expect.

Utilizing a crack team of artists, animators, and computer whizzes, the buildings themselves will be decorated, animated, renovated, and completely re-imagined as we take a journey through our guests’ Disney memories. The show celebrates our guests most magical experiences, from that first announcement of “We’re going to Disney!”, through all the fun, adventure, and family times, culminating with a spectacular finale involving thousands of photos, video, and fireworks. You literally will not believe your eyes!

The entire experience of seeing their own images, memories, and emotions made into the star of the show will provide a new and very special memory each night for our guests.

Let the Memories Begin!!

Filed: Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

Diane on January 20th, 2011 at 9:52 am

That is so cool!

Kris from IL on January 20th, 2011 at 9:53 am

Sorry Disney..this is not going over big with me.

Griselle from NY on January 20th, 2011 at 9:55 am

This looks amazing! When does start taking place at the parks? Will the “Wishes” fireworks change to incorporate the new theme?

Cindi from SD on January 20th, 2011 at 9:55 am

When will this start? We are going to dw next week!

amy from NH on January 20th, 2011 at 9:58 am

LOVE it! Does that mean wishes will not be done anymore at WDW? Or is this shown in conjunction?

Gale from NY on January 20th, 2011 at 10:00 am

wow that is so great i love it.I love you guys so much

Kimberly from MA on January 20th, 2011 at 10:01 am

Absolutely AMAZING!!!! Disney never ceases to amaze me…

Erin on January 20th, 2011 at 10:02 am

Is this replacing Wishes? Or is it just for a limited time?

Ernie from TX on January 20th, 2011 at 10:05 am

Wow, once again cast members have found a way to “plus” the experience. Can’t wait to see the show!

Gadget

Steven on January 20th, 2011 at 10:05 am

That is truly amazing.. Disney Magic it the most wonderful thing in the world. Our next trip is July 2011 staying at the Grand Floridian!!

Krista on January 20th, 2011 at 10:06 am

That was very cool!!! I can’t wait to see it in person. Do you know where they are getting the images from? Do they change every night? I’d love more info about that.

Jeff on January 20th, 2011 at 10:09 am

Will they project images taken at the park that day so there is a chance you will see yourself? I think I would cry then faint.

Dolores on January 20th, 2011 at 10:09 am

Is Wishes out?

Jeff from OH on January 20th, 2011 at 10:14 am

Looks cool! Can’t wait till August.

Nicholas on January 20th, 2011 at 10:14 am

I love this take on the concept. I was a little worried about the early concepts that just showed pictures randomly floating across the castle, but I should have known better. I’ve always thought the “living architecture” exhibits were neat, and this is the Disney touch on those. My favorite effects were the coloring of the castle and the transparent castle with the fireworks. Thanks for the preview!

Lisa on January 20th, 2011 at 10:16 am

What if you DON’T want your images projected. Is there a way to OPT OUT? I am going to WDW very soon, and I am now hesitant to use the photopass.

Scott on January 20th, 2011 at 10:17 am

I didn’t know quite what to expect from this show, but it looks incredible! Hats off to the artists and engineers who had the vision and skills to bring this idea to life.

Melissa on January 20th, 2011 at 10:17 am

Can you tell us all. How do you get a photo in to be on the castle? Do we submit one somewhere, or is it taken daily at the park?? We live here in FL, and our daughter is getting all done up at the boutique next month for her 3rd birthday. I’d love a chance for her picture to be on the castle that night!

Nicole from PA on January 20th, 2011 at 10:21 am

This looks like it will be amazing!!! I know a lot of people were skeptical about it when it was first announced, but I was sure Disney magic would take that concept and make it an exceptional spectacle. We just got back from WDW less than two weeks ago, and I’m now planning another trip to see this!

carol from KY on January 20th, 2011 at 10:30 am

i love it… i cann’t wait to go there again…

Robert on January 20th, 2011 at 10:52 am

Could you, perhaps, do this to Spaceship Earth?

Katy on January 20th, 2011 at 10:59 am

I saw this last night, it was incredible! It was mindblowing!

bonnie from NH on January 20th, 2011 at 11:00 am

I must admit that it looks better than I first thought it would – should have Disney would do an amazing job!

I do hope that this show is in conjunction with “Wishes” – I would be very sad if “Wishes” was replaced by the Memories program . . .

Paul on January 20th, 2011 at 11:01 am

The marketing team seriously dropped the ball with this one. The description we’d been given – “we’re putting guest photos on the castle” – does NOT do justice to what a phenomenal show this truly is. The projections and animations that completely transform the castle are astonishing. I had no interest in seeing guest photos on the castle, but I cannot WAIT to see this show, after seeing video of it a couple nights ago.

Patti on January 20th, 2011 at 11:25 am

This is so cool, I can’t wait to see it. I’m a season pass holder so I know I will get there soon enough!

Theresa from TX on January 20th, 2011 at 11:33 am

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. That is so awesome. Jaw-dropping! I don’t care too much for the pictures of the guests bit, kind of messy looking but the projection that creates the other illusions like the crayon coloring is really really awesome.

Lorraine on January 20th, 2011 at 11:46 am

Oh, I can’t wait to see this! Didn’t know what to expect, but now I’m looking forward to it! Sure hope it’s up next month.

Lisa on January 20th, 2011 at 11:54 am

What if you do NOT want your picture on the castle. Is there a way to OPT OUT? Going in a few weeks, and this makes me not want to use photopass. Please advise.

Nathan on January 20th, 2011 at 11:54 am

This looks really cool! Wasn’t sure about it when the news broke on it, but this looks awesome. Can’t wait to see it!

Andrea from AL on January 20th, 2011 at 12:04 pm

OMG! The Skeleton Dance was just projected onto Cinderella Castle! <3!!!

Jesus from - on January 20th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

It will most definitely exceed my wildest expectations!!!
Only Disney could have pulled this one off in such an amazing and magical way!!!! (like always… haha)
I don’t know how you guys do it but, no matter how far up you raise the bar and, therefore, our expectations, you keep finding a way of exceeding those expectations and raising the bar even higher!!!

Bryan on January 20th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Currently this plays right before wishes!

DORI on January 20th, 2011 at 1:36 pm

This is so great! We’ve watched it over and over. We love the part in which Rapunzel’s hair comes down. Also love how the fireworks start as projected images, then blend in with the real fireworks. Can’t wait ’til our next visit!

Alisa from TN on January 20th, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I just returned from WDW on Monday. I was anticipating this, but saw no mention of it. When did it actually begin? I would have loved to see it.

Toby on January 20th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

If you pull that off, I’ll say honestly that’s got to be one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in my life. Imagine the effects you could include for other rides, shows and various locations as well. Awesome job to you and your team Alan, and keep up the good work!

Barbara from NY on January 20th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

It looks amazing, I was in tears, and then surprised and excited to see my video of my smiling little guy riding Dumbo appear as the last split second of video before the end where Walt appears. So cool. Now I want to go back so I can see it in person, but it’s not in the budget this year. :(

From what I understand, I could be wrong, they took video and pictures that people submitted to the Memories website only. When you submit to the site it says something about them possibly using the media in the show in the fine print.

Neula on January 20th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Wow! I know when it first was announced people thought it was going to be cheesy and ruin the castle. I think it looks absolutely amazing! Would LOVE to see my kids up there! :)

dana from TX on January 20th, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I love this!! SOOOOO cool!!

Dorothea from KY on January 20th, 2011 at 3:19 pm

This looks so much better than I imagined when I first heard about it. Good job, once again, Disney!!

Christine on January 20th, 2011 at 4:04 pm

That is so amazing! I can’t believe anyone would think otherwise. Can’t wait to see it in person in Nov!!

Avril on January 20th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

WOW this sent chills up my spine! Wonderful :)

Marisha on January 20th, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I’m pretty sure I read that the photos are coming from photo pass photographers pictures taken that day. They said they would pull around 500 and then use the best from that. Don’t quote me on that, but I think I read it on the Disney Blog at some point.

Kelsey on January 20th, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Incredible! I admit I was skeptical when I first heard the concept, but now that I see it, I think it looks totally amazing. Yet another success for Disney Imagineers to put under their belts.

Kevin from NJ on January 21st, 2011 at 2:06 am

Ok, so I’m eating crow right now. I was very anti this show, but after having seen it, lesson learned. Job well done, Disney!

Jeffrey from CA on January 21st, 2011 at 4:35 am

Ahhh I love this technology!

I recently saw a similar video of a building that used the technology to make the building look like it was falling apart and such. I’m so happy Disney has picked it up and will be animating the Castle!

Jennifer on January 21st, 2011 at 3:58 pm

It’s even more beautiful than I imagined! I hope I get to be on it! I’m going to WDW for Valentine’s day that would be awesome. I do recall some people thought this was a horrible idea….what do u think now!!! =)

Brian from CA on January 21st, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Can’t wait for the 27 when they do at DL on Its a Small World

Valerie from NJ on January 21st, 2011 at 8:13 pm

So amazing!! Cannot wait for our Easter trip to come so we can experience in person!

Alison on January 22nd, 2011 at 6:39 am

I love the non-photo/video projections on the castle, and I can’t wait to see if they incorporate it into Wishes, HalloWishes, and Holiday Wishes! I’m still 100% sold on seeing strangers’ faces on the castle, but seeing the happiness on those faces was pretty cool! People sometimes forget that that is what a visit to Disney is all about. We come to Disney for the smiles, the magic, and the memories. It’s pretty hard to come to Disney and NOT get those!

Sharla on January 22nd, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I was there Thursday and I was lucky enough to have 2 pictures of me on the Castle! So fun…..Thanks Disney!