Enjoy the nighttime extravaganza Fantasmic! at Disney Parks

What’s ‘The Dish’ at Walt Disney Imagineering?

posted on April 16th, 2012 by Valarie Sukovaty, Disneyland Public Relations

Walt Disney Imagineers are just as creative today as they were back when the Disneyland Resort opened in 1955, but today’s Imagineers are luckier. They have technology at their fingertips that helps tremendously when creating a new attraction or a new land like Cars Land, opening June 15 at Disney California Adventure park. In this video we take you behind the scenes at WDI in Glendale, Calif., where Imagineers are using a tool called the Digital Immersive Showroom or “The Dish.” This virtual-reality technology assists Imagineers in spotting potential design issues before construction. It also helps them to figure out timing, audio cues and special effects. It’s actually quite amazing. Take a look.

For more updates on Cars Land, opening June 15 at Disney California Adventure park, check out the posts below:

Tagged: , , , , ,

Filed: Behind the Scenes, Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

Kristin from NSW on April 16th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

That looks amazing, love getting a snippet of how it all comes together at Disney! Thanks

Fred from CA on April 16th, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Very cool!

I can’t wait for Cars Land!

Nancy from PA on April 16th, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I think Mr. Disney would find this fascinating! He was such an innovator :-)

Kyle from MI on April 16th, 2012 at 10:37 pm

How amazing would it be to tour that? Love seeing the use of innovative technology in the design process.

Donald on April 17th, 2012 at 8:16 am

It’s great to see this. Sadly, we see none of these walk throughs regarding the projects involving the Fantasyland contruction at Magic Kingdom.

Jon from TX on April 17th, 2012 at 8:48 am

Leave it to the Imagineers to have the most cutting-edge technology. It reminds me of a long gone attraction from my childhood in Tomorrowland at Disneyland. The old Circa-rama theatre was one of our favorite attractions. From the state flag preshow in the queue to the dizzy ride in a firetruck on the hills of San Franscisco, it was an attraction that we would never miss. We still talk about it to this day. Wouldn’t it be great if the imagineers could work this bit of magic into a new attraction? Thanks DPB for allowing me to relive fond memories from my past as well as giving me a brief glimpse into the future.

Kyra on April 19th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

…and that’s why I’m going to be an Imagineer!!