Tokyo Disneyland Park, Haunted Mansion

Cast Yourself in Carbonite with the Carbon-Freeze Me Experience During Star Wars Weekends 2012 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

posted on May 8th, 2012 by Steven Miller, Merchandise Communications Manager

Carbon-Freeze Me Experience Coming to Star Wars Weekends 2012 at Disney's Hollywood Studios

As a child, one of the most memorable scenes that I vividly remember from Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back is when Captain Han Solo is frozen in carbonite on Darth Vader’s orders. I think I remember it because after seeing the movie, my parents bought me Boba Fett’s ship that contained a miniature version of Han Solo in carbonite. Coming this year to Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, I will have the opportunity to relive that scene with the Carbon-Freeze Me experience. This new experience was created especially for Disney Parks, and is part of our “D-Tech Me” line that uses technology to take personalization to a whole new level (advance reservations are required. Please see below for details).

Using state-of-the-art imaging technology, this experience casts your likeness as a three-dimensional, eight-inch figurine. At the Carbon-Freezing Chamber (located adjacent to The American Idol Experience), several cameras will capture multiple angles of your face. The images are then reconstructed in a computer for processing, and in approximately four weeks, the completed figurine is shipped directly to your house. I had my image captured during early tests for this experience, and it was surreal to see a digital version of my head.

Each carbonite figurine is $99.95 (plus shipping). You can order additional figurines using the same image scan for $74.95 each. The replica figurine can be hung on a wall, just like the gangster Jabba the Hutt did in Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (I plan on doing the same thing when I receive mine). Guests also receive a light-up wristband.

The experience will officially open on May 18 with the launch of Star Wars Weekends.

Reservations are required and can be made starting Monday, May 7 by calling 407-WDW-TECH (407-939-8324).

May the Force be with you!

Please note: Separate Theme Park admission required for Disney’s Hollywood Studios. No discounts apply unless otherwise noted. Guests must be at least three (3) years of age to participate. A valid accepted credit card number is required at time of booking. No-shows or in the event a reservation is cancelled within 48 hours of scheduled experience will result in such credit card being charged a $25 cancellation fee. The experience, due to its personalized nature is non-refundable and not eligible for an exchange. Children must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of age or older during the entire experience. Certain restrictions may apply. All prices, components and information are subject to change without notice.

Filed: Disney's Hollywood Studios, Special Events, Walt Disney World Resort

William on May 8th, 2012 at 10:43 am

How long will this experience be at Hollywood Studios?

Steven Miller on May 8th, 2012 at 12:19 pm

@William – The experience will open on May 18 at the start of Star Wars Weekends. It will run every day during normal park hours through Saturday, June 16.

Katie on May 8th, 2012 at 10:46 am

This is so incredibly AWESOME!!!!!!! I may have missed it, but will this be available after Star Wars Weekends 2012 is over? I hope so!!

Jason on May 8th, 2012 at 11:13 am

AMAZING!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this a permanent thing at Hollywood Studios! We’re going at Christmas, and me and my children would LOVE IT!

Elizabeth from FL on May 8th, 2012 at 11:16 am

Does the “No discounts apply unless otherwise noted” mean that there will be no AP discount on this item?

Steven Miller on May 8th, 2012 at 12:26 pm

@Elizabeth – You are correct. Discounts do not apply to the Carbon-Freeze Me experience, including Cast Member, Passholder or Disney Visa merchandise discounts. Sorry.

Margaret on May 8th, 2012 at 11:33 am

I am thinking that you guys are going to need to offer FastPass for this one. lol In posting the link to this on Facebook, I immediately had two friends post saying that their children would want to do this. I want to do it to my 2 year old. It would be a super neat way to preserve a 3D image of her and the fact that it’s like a Carbonite Block is just a bonus. :)

Kristen on May 8th, 2012 at 11:36 am

Cool! E-mailed this to my boyfriend. The bracelet is kind of randomly thrown in and will probably be thrown back out by us, but can’t wait to get the figurine!!

Christopher on May 8th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Elizabeth – Correct, no AP discount applied in this case. Booked it yesterday, sat on hold for about 20 minutes. Looking to be extremely popular…can’t wait! If you’re interested, I would say don’t wait to book, I doubt the experience will have open spots for too long!

Chris from CA on May 8th, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I will be getting mine when I go in June.

Christopher on May 8th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Also, would be awesome to get an SWW update on the 3rd Weekend #3 Guest…!

Gary Buchanan on May 8th, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Christopher, let me join Steven’s carbon-freezing fun for a moment to let you know that our third Weekend III guest, representing voice talent from “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” is Catherine Taber. Catherine is the voice of Padmé Amidala on the animated series. (*talent is subject to change)

Elizabeth from FL on May 8th, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Steven!

Amy on May 8th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Wow cool! Please tell me this will come to Disneyland…

Steven Miller on May 8th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

@Christopher – Unfortunately, I have not heard an update yet. Sorry.

@Amy – At this time, we are only offering the experience at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. This is something new we are trying so hopefully everyone will enjoy it. :-)

Allen on May 8th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

This really, REALLY needs to be a permanent fixture (or at least until after I visit Disney World in October). Or, at the very least, please, PLEASE make it available at Disneyland!!

Amanda on May 8th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Looks really cool! My husb will for sure want one when we are there the first weekend of SWW. What is the size?

Maria on May 8th, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I may have missed this, but it only takes your head? And what is the finished size? Thanks.

David on May 8th, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Any chance its going to make its way to Disneyland?

Mike on May 8th, 2012 at 2:15 pm

One detail I didn’t see in the article — how big is the resulting figurine? Is this action-figure sized, smaller, or is it a whole-wall Jabba’s Palace style piece?

Steven Miller on May 8th, 2012 at 2:59 pm

@Amanda, Maria and Mike – Here are the approximate dimensions for the figurine – 7 3/4″ long by 3″ wide by 1″ tall.

Though I would personally love to have a wall-sized figurine made – LOL!

@Maria – You are correct – the Carbon-Freeze Me experience uses the latest 3D face scanning camera technology to create the figurine.

@Allen and David – Unfortunately, we are only offering this experience at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at this point.

Suchit from CA on May 8th, 2012 at 2:43 pm

This is awesome!!! We went to SWW last year but won’t be able to make it this year :( Any chance this will come to Disneyland? I’d be the first in line if it is!

And for those who asked, I saw the article mention it would be an 8″ figurine:

“Using state-of-the-art imaging technology, this experience casts your likeness as a three-dimensional, eight-inch figurine.”

Christophe on May 8th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Christopher on May 8th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

“According to InsideTheMagic, it’s an 8-inch figure, and as far as I understand from the article, it’ll only add your head.”

Can you see if they did frontal with the pot belly sticking out?It would never stand up straight.

I will get it done in two weeks.

Ramiro from TX on May 8th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Coolest thing ever!!!!!

Dan on May 8th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Ha! Wow… My wife and I just had a HUGE laugh with this. At a quick glance we both just said, “what the!?…” and I read on but not before imagining the scenario in OUR heads before reading.

Cast Member, “OK Dan hold still” My wife Laura, “I love you!..” Me, “I know” then.. ZAAAPPP!! Cast Member, “do you need help getting that to your car ma’am?” Laura, “no, I can just activate the anti-gravity panel and load him into my SUV. Thank you tho’!” Cast Member, “no problem.. here’s your receipt.. and you have a Magical Day!”

Ha! ;-)

Kara on May 8th, 2012 at 7:42 pm

This just screams Mother’s Day gift for me!

Dave on May 9th, 2012 at 7:49 am

Hey Steve,
What a cool souvenir a Carbonite block will make!!
I hope that it’s popular enough that they continue it past June, we’re going down in October.
Are you going to put a pic of yours online when you get it? sure would like to see what it looks like.

Alvin from IN on May 9th, 2012 at 7:52 am

Any chance this will be brought back for Star Wars Celebration VI?
Will Hollywood Studios be hosting any special star wars events in August for Star Wars Celebration VI?

THanks for all of updates!!

Steven Miller on May 9th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

@Dan – Comment win! Wow, that made me laugh!! And of course, those lines are some of my favorite (especially the fact that Han Solo’s response was ad-libbed – awesome!).

@Kara – Wishing you a very happy Mother’s Day :-)

@Dave – I’ll have to see if that is an option with the digital media team. I know that we are all pretty excited to see this!

@Alvin – Great question. With less than 10 days to go, I know we are pretty much focused on the launch of Star Wars Weekends 2012. The merchandise special events team said that some of the merchandise arrived today at Darth’s Mall, the shopping area for the event near Rock ‘N Roller Coaster (how cool!). If I hear additional updates, I will let you know.

Timothy on May 9th, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Just wanted to let people know that it is only being offered on fri/sat/sun for star wars weekends. I tried to make a reservation for thrusday to avoid doing it during weekend event times but it was not open for non-event days and wanted everyone to know that its only open for the 12 event days! Make your reservations prior to going and you can cancel penalty free prior to the 48 hours to avoid fee.

Steven Miller on May 9th, 2012 at 4:39 pm

@Timothy – I’m sorry to hear of your trouble. I actually called 407-WDW-TECH (407-939-8324) and checked with other team members to confirm.

The experience will be offered every day during normal park hours from May 18 – June 16.

If interested, I would invite you to call again and speak with an agent so we can change your reservation time. Again, my apologies for any confusion.

Fernando on May 9th, 2012 at 5:23 pm

No love for foreigners :(
If it went for a longer time I’d switch my yearend vacation just to go make my figure.
You should make this avaliable online, providing instructions on how to take the pictures (by professional photographers that take pics for IDs and such).
If you ever do this, sign me up for the first in line ;)

Ryan from NC on May 9th, 2012 at 6:35 pm

When I first saw this, it was as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in excitement. Any chance of this experience being extended beyond June 16th and the end of Star Wars Weekends?

Donna on May 9th, 2012 at 6:53 pm

OH MY!!! This is a super experience to offer…we were just there a couple of weeks ago…my son would have loved this. Please consider making it permanent. Another idea would be to offer it at the traveling D23 events. I’m going to one soon at The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and something like that would be a great addition…with an artsy touch!

Lou from FL on May 10th, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I signed up on day one and am booked for May 19! I’m really looking forward to this!!

“Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well….”

Lou M.
WDW Radio

Steven Miller on May 10th, 2012 at 6:28 pm

@Ryan – Comment win! I love it. Currenly, the experience is only planned through June 16. After the experience concludes, we will evaluate future options. Sorry I don’t have a better answer at this point.

@Donna – I’m glad to hear you like the idea. I hope your trip was fun!

@Lou – Awesome! I hope to see you around Star Wars Weekends :-)

Bill on May 10th, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Is this going to continue past Star Wars weekends? We’re not going to WDW until July & I REALLY wish I could get one…

Beth from IN on May 11th, 2012 at 9:43 am

This should atleast be a year long thing!! We are coming in October and we would LOVE to do it! Please consider keeping it around for awhile!

Naomi from KS on May 12th, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Whoa. Another reason to hit WDW! Pinning now

Frank on May 14th, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Just made my reservation. Can’t wait!

Too bad you can’t wear a hat. Since I always have a hat on, it would be sweet to have me, wearing my Notre Dame hat, frozen in Carbonite!

Jennifer on May 14th, 2012 at 3:26 pm

So, if this is just the face that is scanned, is there any chance of us at least getting a selection of bodies to choose from? not that Han isn’t awesome, but I’m not a man. My initial reaction upon seeing this is “I must have this!” but after thinking about it, I’m not so sure about shelling out $100 bucks for an 3D image of my (female) face on a dude’s body. Also, since this is open to ages three and up, won’t it be weird to have like a four-year-old’s face on a the body of a fully-grown man?

Jason on May 14th, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Read about this on Ain’t it Cool News!

My wife and I are thrilled about this and I booked reservations for the morning of the 24th. Can’t wait to hang them side by side in our office!

Christopher on May 15th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I just signed up and the CM I talked too didn’t have any notes about facial hair. Is my beard going to be a problem?

Steven Miller on May 15th, 2012 at 12:43 pm

@Jennifer – At this time we are only offering the Han Solo form for this experience. For children, there will be a smaller scale version of the form. A good female friend/co-worker had it done and we just got the samples. She looks great (super awesome expression). We will have several forms on display at the Carbon-Freezing Chamber so guests can see the results.

@Christopher – Thanks for making a reservation for the experience! I spoke with the team who said that facial hair like a beard is okay. To ensure the image is captured correctly, we are advising guests not to wear headwear, masks or glasses. Also, hair should be pulled away from the face; headbands will be provided to help pull hair back.

Catherine A on May 15th, 2012 at 2:22 pm

we will be there 6/18 – hope this gets extended – my son would love it (maybe my daughter also!)

John on May 16th, 2012 at 7:15 am

No eyeglasses? That’s pretty much a deal-breaker for me. I wear glasses all the time, and wouldn’t recognize my carbonized self as me without them. Maybe as the technology improves… Thanks for this informative blog.

Melissa from NY on May 17th, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Booked a special trip to disney for this! Both hubby and I will be doing it. maybe even get an extra one of him for his parents :) hehe. Booked for Sunday, May 27th in the morning. so excited!!!

I wear glasses and it does seem silly to take them off because no one will know it’s me, but it’s the technology. and this really is once in a lifetime experience (for now). So we’re jumping in!

Quick weekend trip to go there and bonus is that our families will be in town for other reasons anyway. Yay!! Can’t wait for this!!!

Travis on May 23rd, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I will be in WDW this September and hope that this will still be available. If it is you have at least one guaranteed purchase!

Marisa from FL on May 24th, 2012 at 9:30 am

Is this experience sold out I call and it is a hold with no sound and no one ever picks up, I don’t want to go if I can’t get in.

Steven Miller on May 24th, 2012 at 1:33 pm

@Marisa – I’m sorry to hear of your challenge. The experience is not sold out. It is available every day (weekdays and weekends) through June 16 during normal park operating hours. I just telephoned the reservation line – 407-WDW-TECH (407-939-8324) – and I had an agent answer within 30 seconds. You may want to try calling again. Hope this helps.

Kristen on May 25th, 2012 at 11:50 am

Can you tell me what material the figurine is being made out of? I saw someone mention somewhere else that it’s plastic. But I am hoping for over $100, this will be a bit more high quality and of a heavier/withstanding material???

Steven Miller on May 25th, 2012 at 1:23 pm

@Kristen – Each Carbon-Freeze Me figurine is crafted from the highest resolution 3D printer. It has the feel of a resin-like powder material (it’s definitely not plastic). There are a few examples on display at the Carbon-Freezing Chamber that you can hold.

Kristen on May 25th, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I’ll be there next week to carbon freeze my boyfriend. Very excited.

Laura on May 25th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Really want to book but we’re in the UK so a bit worried I’ll run up a phone bill! Are there still spaces left?

Lynda on May 25th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

This is one cooooool experience. :)

Cameron on June 4th, 2012 at 10:06 am

I have been trying all weekend to get a reservation. No one seems to answer the phone number. Has the reservations been closed ? How else can I make a reservation ?

Steven Miller on June 5th, 2012 at 10:46 am

@Laura – Yes, there is availability depending upon when you are going to be visiting. Remember, the experience ends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on June 16.

@Cameron – I’m sorry to hear of your challenge. I know the reservation line should be working (as I’ve called it several times to confirm). I would invite you to try calling again – 407-WDW-TECH (407-939-8324).

The experience is open daily at Disney’s Hollywood Studios through June 16. They can talk walk-ins depending upon availability (just visit the podium outside the ABC Sound Stage).

Meanwhile, here is a recently published video that gives some additional looks at the experience: