'World of Color' at Disney California Adventure Park

This Week in Disney History: Oswald the Lucky Rabbit Debuted in 1927

posted on September 8th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

Eighty-five years ago this week, Walt Disney’s first major animated character, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, made his silver-screen debut in the short, “Trolley Troubles.”

Although Walt lost the rights to the character of Oswald in a business deal with his distributor in 1928, the loss inspired him to create a new character that quickly became a smashing success – Mickey Mouse.

In 2006, The Walt Disney Company regained the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and the character has since found new fame in the Disney Epic Mickey video game. (Incidentally, Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two will be released in stores November 18.)

Town Square Theater at Magic Kingdom Park

Oswald also made his first appearance at Walt Disney World Resort in 2011, in this little detail that appears in Mickey’s dressing room at the new Mickey Mouse character greeting in Town Square Theater at Magic Kingdom Park.

Happy anniversary, Oswald!

Filed: Disney History, Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort

ryan from FL on September 8th, 2012 at 11:50 am

Very much looking forward to Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two. Already have mine reserved for the Nintendo Wii!

sam on September 8th, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Happy to see Oswald in the spotlight, but I’m pretty sure Oswald has been seen at Walt Disney World before 2011. Looking through some old photos of mine, I know there had been a poster featuring Oswald featured in the exhibit portion of One Man’s Dream at Disney’s Hollywood Studios dating back at least 5 year and possibly since the attraction opened in 2001. I also remember a short clip from an Oswald cartoon incorporated into the wonderful film at the end of that attraction probably dating back to 2001 as well. Still, nice to see more references to the Lucky Rabbit being added now that he’s back in the Disney Family!

Philip on September 8th, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Happy 85 years, Oswald!

I look forward to the day that he finally starts appearing in the parks for meet-and-greets.

Kaylyn on September 8th, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Can you guys do an oswald ears give away in honor of his 85th anniversary?! :D

scott on September 8th, 2012 at 2:09 pm

My family loves Oswald and we hope to see much more of him around Disney World in the future.

John on September 8th, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Happy Anniversary to my favorite Disney character! Will there be more pins released of Oswald?

Jessica on September 8th, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Happy anniversary to Oswald!

Alison on September 8th, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Happy birthday, Oswald! From myself and my real bunny named after you!

I also have hopes for Oswald Ears and en eventual meet n greet. I had fun at the first Epic Mickey’s promo during Festival of the Masters…perhaps Oswald himself can come promote the sequel at this year’s Masters?? Or at least give out the ears, for the love of all things good and Disney please do an Ear handout like you did at PAX and ComicCon?! :D

Terri on September 8th, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I love Oswald. Will he be a Meet and Greet character any time soon?

Darren on September 9th, 2012 at 5:38 am

I believe this particular drawing of Mickey and Oswald came from Disney Imagineer Jason Grant, drown when he was just kid (assuming this photo was taken at Town Square Theater.)

Ryan on September 9th, 2012 at 10:50 am

I agree with every one that there should be an Oswald Meet and Greet. I also am excited for the Epic Mickey 2 game and hope that the recently discovered Oswald cartoon Hungry Hobos will be included in the game. I would love to see that someday.

Alice from WA on September 15th, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Love Oswald! Yes, pins and ears, please! My daughter scored an Oswald ear hat for me at PAX :)so my husband and I are going to MNSSHP dressed as Oswald and Ortensia.

Excited about Power of Two debut!