Cinderella Castle Fireworks Show

First Guests See ‘Captain EO’

posted on February 23rd, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

First guests see Captain EO

Here they are! This photo shows some of the first guests to see “Captain EO” at Disneyland park. More than 500 guests lined up to try to snag seats to the first official showing at 10:00am Pacific this morning.

Check back on the Disney Parks Blog later today to see video of the reopening.

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Wallace from MN on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Any estimate on how long EO will be showing there? I’d love to see in again!

Heather Hust Rivera on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:16 pm

The exact duration has not yet been determined.

Lee on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I really hope they can bring this to Epcot at Walt Disney World!

Joseph from CA on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Rev up the campaign for Blu-ray!!!

Trang on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I can’t wait to go, but does anyone know what show times are and will they be the same each day?

Heather Hust Rivera on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:19 pm

“Captain EO” is presented multiple times daily.

Fred from CA on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Very cool.

I’m going to be there this weekend.

Minesh on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I was there! I was a part of the first official viewing and it was GREAT!!! Oh man, what a feeling. I was hoping they had some type of commemorative item for first viewing but the other merchandise was great none the less! Can’t wait to go see it again this week!

Heather Hust Rivera on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Thanks for coming out, Minesh! I agree – the energy in the theater was amazing.

Kathy on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I am on my way over there today. Hopefully the lines are not too long later on. Cant wait!

tamee on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:22 pm

How long does the Catain EO show last?

Alpha from CA on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Hope to see it next week. Don’t remember much about seeing it before except lots of dancing……….will almost be like seeing it for the first time.

Minesh on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:27 pm

No, thank all of you at TDA for bringing back a piece of my childhood, and many others I’m sure.
I think I saw you there Heather! Standing on the side with all the media? I was the one wearing the yellow glasses! =P I did however found myself and my friends in this picture, such a great memory! Thanks again!

Frank on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I was the audience as well! I was completely overwhelmed with excitement and joy to see the Captain make his return to his home! I hope it stays for a very long time!

Stephen on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Any chance they will bring this to Walt Disney World?

Paola on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:38 pm

How many people can the theater seat?

Karla on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I soooo want to go this weekend! The last time I saw Captain EO was when I was 12–its gonna be so nostalgic. What kind of merchandise to they have for it?

Heather Hust Rivera on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:17 pm

You can find details about the merchandise at this site: http://cot.ag/bHkC29

Jeremy on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I have mixed feelings about the return of Capt. EO. I remember loving it as a child and even saw MJ in Disneyland. Why did it take his death to justify a return.

colleen from AZ on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I can not wait to see it again, I love it as a kid!! Now bringing my family from AZ next month and sooo excited.

Tommy on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:24 pm

After being closed for almost 15 years , its hard to belive many under the age of thirty have any true memories of the original Captain EO.Anyone under 20 may believe they remember it but its unlikely. I saw it numerous times back in the day and it was a great show. I thought todays opening would be a bigger turnout and its nice to see that its not going to be a difficult attraction to get into. The theater seats 500 and turns over aprox every 20 minutes. Apparently after the first showing today there havent been many or any not able to get into following shows. Just a matter of waiting for one to end and another to start. I am sure many of today fans have and will see it again and again today. Nice that its back in the theater built to originally house it. The last attraction ” Honey I Shrunk the Audience ” will not be missed by more than a few and long since wore out its welcome. I am guessing that Captain EO will atleast run through 2010 since nothing is set to replace it, Yet!

Leslie Joy on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I LOVED it all over again and so did my 3 year old daughter!!!!!! the line wasn’t as bad as i thought it would be….. and i also found myself in this picture!!!!!

kelli from CO on February 23rd, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Do you know who took the picture?

Heather Hust Rivera on February 23rd, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Paul Hiffmeyer, Chief Photographer for Public Relations and contributor on the Disney Parks Blog, took this photo.

David on February 23rd, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I was there (in the first group) and had a blast! Pictures are here:

We were let in a little before 10 and directed right to the attraction. Despite the huge crowd, the wait from there was pretty minimal.

Thanks to all at Disney for bring this piece of my past back :)

lydia on February 23rd, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Im in that crowd and all i have to say is THANK YOU Disney for bringing it back and all the great memories form past to present with captian EO and his crew.

elysse on February 24th, 2010 at 1:58 am

I didn’t see the first showing but my bf and I went later in the afternoon and thankfully no big crowds got right in there it was even more amazing I loved how it was updated (no spoilers) and thankfully got some pins and posters even tho we went just to see captain eo it was still the best can’t wait to see it more

Meredith from FL on February 24th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Any chance of this returning to Epcot? I know there are a bunch of us East Coasters who would love to see this again!

AnnMarie on February 26th, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Seeing Captain EO was awesome but I was surprised that there wasn’t much merchandise to choose from. I was hoping that atleast the original t-shirt design was available.

Isabelle from QC on March 4th, 2010 at 11:06 am

Can you please tell me if Captain Eo will be there until Christmas?

If yes, we will surely be there. Please tell us as soon as possible, because we need to plan our vacations! Thank you !

Ronald on March 16th, 2010 at 11:19 am

So what of the outlooked rumors of the Starspeeder joining Pod Racing in tattooine. StarTours 2011

Lisa on March 24th, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I was fortunate enough to be among those to see the first showing of captain EO, but may I make the suggestion that there isn’t nearly enough variety in available merchandise. We NEED a fuzzball plushie such as the one they used to sell- only with todays technology preferrably one that LOOKS like fuzzball. Even in a limited edition!