'it's a small world' Holiday

Park Balloons: There’s a Skill to This Inflated Fun

posted on May 17th, 2010 by Valarie Sukovaty, Disneyland Public Relations

Balloons have been a guest favorite since day one, literally. Disneyland has been selling balloons in the Park since 1955. So, how does that cool Mickey Mouse-shaped balloon get inside that clear balloon? It takes skill. And how do the vendors hold all those balloons without letting them go? Again, it takes skill and a special technique. Check out this video and see how they make balloon magic. By the way, if you ever pop a balloon while you are in the Park, just bring it back to the vendor and they will give you a new one!

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

Robbie on May 17th, 2010 at 4:12 pm

These are the type of videos that make you stand out well above the other “disney fan” sites! I LOVED IT!

Dan from TN on May 17th, 2010 at 4:19 pm

These Cast Members seem like they truly enjoy their jobs. These are the kinds of CM’s that really help to make a trip enjoyable. Thanks, CM’s!

Sheila on May 17th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I love to watch the little kids buying balloons! I too love the cast members! I remember at one time, I went around collecting autographs.. not from the Characters, but Cast Members. “Chris the Pirate” or “Colleen, the Balloon Vender” Thanks! You CM’s are truly the superstars of the parks.

Michelle on May 17th, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I’m sure someone has thought of this already, but since I haven’t seen it in the park yet, I thought I’d share. Mr. Fredricksen from Up should sell balloons in the parks!

ANTHONY from PA on May 17th, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I would love to know how many balloons are sold in WDW & Disnaeyland parks each year?

Fred from CA on May 17th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Cool video.

I agree with Robbie!

Cindy on May 17th, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I used to blow up balloons at Disneyland in 1980. It WAS very hard to get both the ears the same size.

Jesus on May 17th, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Oh my goodness, we were at Disneyland yesterday and my 13 year old son asked me, “How do they get the Mickey balloon inside the clear balloon?” I tried to explain, but this video said it ALL.
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR SHARING!!!

Brandon on May 18th, 2010 at 12:28 am

The real question is…. how do they find the balloon the guests want with so many strings!?

Jeff from OH on May 18th, 2010 at 8:47 am

We love the ballons. Our daughter has got one each time we have went to WDW.

HELEN on May 18th, 2010 at 8:53 am

Such a wonderful idea to replace the balloon with a new one should the balloon pop while at the park. I was not aware of that – do the balloon venders tell customers this when a balloon is purchased? This just fits in totally with the Disney philosophy. I lived in Long Beach in 1955 where my love of anything Disney began with frequent trips to the park in Anaheim. Disney is a big part of my life and memories.

Billy on May 18th, 2010 at 11:26 am

I wish I could see this on my iPad! No flash, please. :)

Liza from GA on May 18th, 2010 at 3:54 pm

The balloons are cool. I’m an adult and I still love the balloons. Every year there is a new one to see. We make a game out of finding the new balloons each time we visit.

Clarissa from CA on May 19th, 2010 at 12:39 am

Michelle…GREAT idea…have Mr. Frederickson sell balloons! THIS Mommy still loves balloons…I just use the kids as an excuse to buy a couple…ha, ha!

Albert from CA on May 19th, 2010 at 5:24 am

@Sheila OMG! I had the idea to get CM autographs, too! I thought it was a great idea but would have been reaching the thousands if I were to try to get everyone. I’ll give it a go one day soon. I didn’t know they would state their title, too. That’s so awesome! =)

Anyway, this video was great and informational! I’m gonna get a balloon when I go back on Friday in honor of this video.

JOHN on May 19th, 2010 at 9:53 am

I still want to get my photo taken while holding the balloons!! That for my would be MAGICAL!!

Suzi from FL on May 24th, 2010 at 9:51 am

I purchased a MM balloon on July 4, 2009. Guess what, it is still “alive”. Granted it is much smaller, about the size of a Honeydew Melon, but hanging on all the same. It’s way too cool.