'it's a small world' at Disneyland Park

Haunted Mansion Inspires New Movie by The Walt Disney Studios and Guillermo del Toro

posted on July 22nd, 2010 by Heather Hust Rivera, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, The Walt Disney Company

Have you heard the news? One of your top five favorite Disneyland park attractions is the focus of a new film from The Walt Disney Studios.

The original Disneyland park attraction, the Haunted Mansion, that debuted in August of 1969 has now inspired a new film for The Walt Disney Studios by well-known filmmaker Guillermo del Toro. A new piece of artwork was also unveiled by the Studios and is featured below.
Haunted Mansion Logo
Announced at Comic-Con today, del Toro surprised thousands of fans with the news. In speaking about the new project, del Toro said, “I couldn’t be more excited to be a part of my own adaptation of the original theme park attraction Walt envisioned and that remains- for me- the most desirable piece of real estate in the whole world!”

Rich Ross, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, remarked “Millions of people from around the world visit The Haunted Mansion each year, but no one has ever had a tour guide like Guillermo del Toro. Guillermo is one of the most gifted and innovative filmmakers working today and he is going to take audiences on a visually-thrilling journey like they’ve never experienced before.”

What do you think of this exciting news?

Filed: Disneyland Park, Disneyland Resort

1 2 3

Victoria from NJ on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Didn’t we already have a horrible film based off Haunted Mansion? Maybe it’s time to let things be.

Robert on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I could not be more thrilled about this news! I also read that Guillermo said that the movie will be based around the infamous Hat Box Ghost. Please let this be the thing that causes the HB Ghost to be added back to the attraction!

Lou from FL on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I… am… speechless… I am without speech! Never saw this coming but couldn’t be more excited! Eddie Murphy – love ya buddy, but I can’t wait for what I hope will be a fitting tribute to one of Disney’s most beloved attractions!

Hurry baaaaacck!!!!!

Lou M
WDWRadio

Heather Hust Rivera on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Glad you’re excited about this, Lou!

Christopher on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:50 pm

So excited, Ive been working on all kinds of Haunted Mansion art this past year. So this is truly an awesome Revelation for Haunted Mansion fans everywhere.

Fred from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Sounds interesting…

Perhaps this time they are going for a scarier tone and a better story than the original “Haunted Mansion” movie.

Kim from UT on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:51 pm

LOVE Guillermo del Toro, LOVE the Haunted Mansion, LOVE scary movies. Can’t wait to see this story finally done right!

Paul on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The Haunted Mansion is my favorite attraction at Walt Disney World. Yes, the previous Haunted Mansion movie was a huge letdown, to say the least. I am very excited to see what del Toro will do with the concept. I am looking foward to a good movie based on this attraction.

Heather Hust Rivera on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I’m just sharing the news, but you’re welcome!

Travis from NH on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:53 pm

HatBox Ghost – AMAZING. Now please put it in the ride, both WDW & DL. :)

Fred from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:57 pm

…I notice that the “Haunted Mansion” link takes you to the Walt Disney World version of the ride. Shouldn’t the link be for the Disneyland park version?
Since this post is speaking of the “original” Haunted Mansion ride and is filed under “Disneyland Park” and “Disneyland Resort”.

Heather Hust Rivera on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Thanks, Fred. We’ll get that fixed.

Kyra on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:59 pm

This sounds so promising! The first one was a mistake (I only like the intro) and I’m glad Disney is trying to mend that! I’m very excited. I do see this film being darker and more horror than even the “worst” scene of Pirates. I just cannot wait. Is there any projected opening date?

Billy from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I love the haunted mansion, it has to be one of my favorites. I can’t wait for more news on this upcoming film. With del Toro working on it, it will truly be a magnificent production – no doubt about that!

Charla from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Excited and looking very forward to seeing what he does with this story. So many possibilities…

G. Christine from NV on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I am sooo excited about a new Haunted Mansion film!!! I was so disappointed in the last one. Glad to hear it’s going to be scary!!!

Diana from sonora on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Just pleaseeee dont change the ride!!!!

Jeff from NJ on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:10 pm

You guys just made my day! I couldn’t wait for del Toro to announce his new film this weekend, and never in a million years did I think it would be Disney related, let along based on my favorite ride of all time!
I can’t WAIT for this. He’s going to make a fantastic movie!

aDAM on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Do we have any news on a possible release date for the new film?

Heather Hust Rivera on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Not yet, but I can’t wait to find out, too.

Dina from AB on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I have to weigh in on the previous movie and say I didn’t mind it. It’s just a light movie… and sometimes that’s all you need ;) But I am looking forward to this movie – it will be very interesting to see another vision and a darker movie!

Richard from FL on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Reading that del Toro has a Haunted Mansion room in his house (like me!) complete with original Marc Davis artwork (not like me – I wish!) lets me know that he’ll really do my favorite attraction justice. The last movie had a great visual style and soundtrack, but was lacking everywhere else. It seems like this one will make up for it all – and then some. And perhaps if/when it is successful, we’ll see the return of the infamous Hatbox Ghost to the ride. We can dream, right?

Ricky B
Inside the Magic

Angela on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I have to say I really loved the Eddie Murphy version, but I’m hoping this one will do the Haunted Mansion attraction justice and put in more than just subtle nods to the home of the 999 Happy Haunts.

I especially hope it captures the essence that Walt was trying to design, the mix of macabre and spine-chilling moments laced with a bit of humor at the ghost’s post-mortem state. (i.e. the hand sealing its own tomb with bricks, etc).

Rosemarie from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:15 pm

This is wonderful news! The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides at the park and I’m sure it will make for a fantastic movie!

Charles on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I like the idea a lot… but I also have some reservations:

1. If successful, please leave the attraction the same…Classics should stay as Walt envisioned….

2. If it is amazing, please leave well-enough alone at just one movie.

Jean on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Yay, can’t wait! We absolutely love this attraction….Now, let’s work on getting some trinkets for this attraction to bring back home. Oddly, it’s loved by many but usually has one T-shirt, one book etc. whereas Pirates has booty, hats etc.

We already have the hitchhiking ghosts for the yard, and the ceramic figurines. Would love to see something more along those lines.

Thanks!

Travis from NH on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:17 pm

This is probably the best Disney movie news in decades. I’m so happy to see Disney treating park attractions, such as the Haunted Mansion, as it’s own brand. There is no need for Disney synergy when the parks are already a strong enough brand.

Are there any details if any scenes will look like WDW’s Haunted Mansion rather than just Disneyland’s? Both are fantastic, but WDW’s includes amazing scenes such as the recently added “endless stairway” scene.

Absolutely cannot wait for this and TRON Legacy. Both movies look VERY promising!

Travis
Club D23

Dawn on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Guillermo has a wicked imagination so this should be AWESOME!! I hope it is scary in the realm of Pan’s Labyrinth etc… Love you Guillermo!

Stephen on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I love dark movies. I love that the Haunted Mansion is finally getting the creepy, yet fun movie that it deserves!

Jessica on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I couldn’t be more excited! I’ll be honest, I’m a little giddy over the fact that del Toro seems to love the ride as much as I do. He will do the fans justice. He is the PERFECT filmmaker for such a project!

aramis from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:22 pm

i cant wait, del toro movies are always great!

Kristen on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:25 pm

HAHAHA lou from florida… <3 the seinfeld reference! and i too am speechless! :O yay!!!

Chase on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:27 pm

OMIGOSH. IVE ALWAYS LOVED HAUNTED MANSION AND EVEN BOUGHT ONE OF THE ORGINAL SECRET PANEL CHESTS THAT WERE SOLD AT DISNEYLAND. I AM GLAD TO KNOW THAT THIS IS HAPPENING BC THE ORIGINAL DARK SCARY STORY OF THE MANSION HAS ALWAYS INTRIGUED ME :) AND NOT MANY PEOPLE NOW ABOUT IT EXCEPT FOR US DEDICATED FANS :) I CAN’T WAIT AND I HOPE TO GET TERRIFIED ;)

Jessica from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:27 pm

This is great! Maybe by doing this movie and if I hear correctly about the hat box ghost being part of the story just maybe they will put the hat box ghost back into the attraction?!

Alexandra on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Can’t wait for this movie!!!! Absolutely love The Haunted Mansion.

Heather from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I love that this news came out of nowhere — made the announcement that much more exciting. Can’t wait to see it!

Theresa on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:30 pm

We just noticed on our last trip that the green head in the globe is now levitating…when did they make that change? It used to sit on the table? Can’t wait for October…that’s when the Haunted Mansion is at it’s best!

Heather Hust Rivera on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:00 pm

In Spring 2005, the séance scene with Madame Leota literally took flight as new technologies developed by Walt Disney Imagineering allowed the crystal ball to float overhead — with the original, indomitable Leota still speaking inside. I hope that answers your question, Theresa.

Heather from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Is it true that the Haunted Mansion in California is actually haunted???

Keian on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I am thrilled that this movie is finally going to be done right. Guillermo del toro is such a magnificent director, storyteller, and imagineer in his own right. this is the most exciting news coming out of comic-con!

Carrie from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:35 pm

All of us haunted mansion fans are all a-twitter about this news!! Thank you so much Disney for making our day!

Benny on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I’m so excited for this! Haunted Mansion is my all time favorite attraction!

Christopher on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I enjoy what BdT does as a director, I am just hoping that Disney will allow him enough freedom to make it in his vision and not something campy like the original movie. There is enough of a lore with the various inhabitants of the Mansion that BdT could pick-n-choose where he wanted to go with it. Even going so far as to somehow bringing in the dear departed bride and all of her former husbands.

Gabriel on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:44 pm

The Haunted Mansion has always been my favorite attraction at Disneyland. I am so glad that they are finally going to be making a movie that will do it some justice! Del Toro will do an amazing job, I’m sure! Today also happens to be my birthday and to find this news out today just made it all that much more enjoyable!

Melissa from FL on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I can not wait! del Toro did such an amazing job with Pan’s Labyrinth. He is so imaginative and creative. HUGE Kudos to Disney for putting this partnership together.

Fred from CA on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Thank you for the reply Heather. :)

I have to say, I am very excited and intrigued by this news!

Heather Hust Rivera on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Certainly, Fred. Glad to hear it.

Valerie on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Announced at Comic Con? Score! I totally agree- bring on the Hatbox Ghost. I can’t wait to see a good interpretation of my favorite ride!

Benny on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:51 pm

By the way, will the current Haunted Mansion bride, Constance Hatchaway, be in the new movie? I sure hope so, she’s my favorite character! :)

Kevin on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Perhaps the first one wasn’t the best but aren’t we seeing a nice trend with the good people at Disney lately with all the reimagineering and updating that has been going on. Making better the things that aren’t doing so well? I think perhaps this will be better than the first. A redeeming chance for a great attraction. Looking forward to it.

Brittney on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:00 pm

…oh my God. I have never been so happy with any film news in my life!!! This is how it should have always been. That’s not to say that I didn’t like the first version. It has some lovely moments (mostly the opening and the parts with Gracey and Elizabeth), but it was missing a certain element that the ride has. I’m so glad to hear that a self proclaimed Haunted Mansion (from an earlier interview I read about a year or so back, he said he has a room in his home dedicated to HM) with such a wonderful visual style and inherent darkness will be at the helm of this project! Wonderful news!!!

Shannon from MI on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:01 pm

This is so awesome! I’m so excited! I hope it’s worthy of the ride, which is so beloved! Thank you for such exciting news! Yay Hatbox Ghost!

Jennifer on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:02 pm

He pulled out of The Hobbit for this?

mark on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Excellent!!! (tenting fingers) I’m glad disney is trying again and not giving up. Be true to the spirit of the ride and don’t be politically correct. Putting Eddie Murphy into the move just to reach a different demographic was a formula for failure, and had nothing to do with the any kind of storyline in the ride. It was just a bad Eddie Murphy movie with cameo’s of the mansion in the background.

Lorraine on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:22 pm

So excited to hear this… will they film @ land or world?

mark on July 22nd, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I just watched the third man on the mountain, the inspiration for the Matterhorn ride. You should consider more ride based movies, like the jungle cruise movie, or maybe a remake of the third man on the mountain.

1 2 3