Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom Park

Taking a Tour of Cars Land, Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle Theatre – Opening June 15 at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on March 7th, 2012 by Tom Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

Disney President and CEO Bob Iger and Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Tom Staggs Behind the Construction Walls at Disney California Adventure Park for a Hard-hat Tour of Buena Vista Street and Cars Land

Yesterday, Disney President and CEO Bob Iger and I stepped behind the construction walls at Disney California Adventure park for a hard-hat tour of Buena Vista Street and Cars Land, two of the most significant elements that will cap off our multi-year expansion of the park. Led by the extraordinary team of Imagineers working on this project, Bob and I were completely blown away by the level of artistry, creativity and attention to detail of the work done so far and can’t wait for all of our Disneyland Resort guests to finally experience it firsthand.

Our day started on Buena Vista Street where we rode the iconic Red Car Trolley, explored the storefronts that line the street and then continued on to the Carthay Circle Theatre, the new icon of Disney California Adventure park. This new entrance to the park will transport guests to a romantic, idealized version of 1920s Hollywood when Walt and Roy Disney first arrived in California to begin their careers as filmmakers. Buena Vista Street will be the perfect place for guests to shop and eat, watch the parade, or just sit and soak up the atmosphere.

Then we headed to Cars Land, and when we got to the entrance of this all-new, 12-acre land, Bob and I both stopped to simply take in the stunning view before us. From the majesty of the Ornament Valley Mountain Range in the distance to the craftsmanship of each of the buildings in Radiator Springs, Cars Land is going to be a truly spectacular addition to the park.

Disney President and CEO Bob Iger and Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Tom Staggs Behind the Construction Walls at Disney California Adventure Park for a Tour of Buena Vista Street and Cars Land

We wandered down Route 66 looking at all of the familiar hot spots from the films that are just about complete – Ramone’s House of Body Art, Flo’s V8 Café, the Cozy Cone Motel and Luigi’s Casa della Tires, just to name a few. We ended the tour with a test ride on two of the new attractions in Cars Land, Luigi’s Flying Tires and Radiator Springs Racers, which are both going to be huge hits with our guests.

Disney President and CEO Bob Iger and Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Tom Staggs Behind the Construction Walls at Disney California Adventure Park for a Test Ride on Radiator Springs Racers

As we approach the finish line of our expansion of Disney California Adventure park, I am extremely proud of the passion, creativity and innovation that have gone into this entire project over the last several years. When we’re done, this park will be a testament to what we at Disney Parks do best – connect our guests to the iconic stories, characters and music they love…making memories that will last a lifetime.

And now for some big news – I’m pleased to officially announce that the grand opening of Cars Land, Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle Theatre will take place on June 15, 2012! Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more details.

Filed: Disney California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort

56 Comments 1 Reply

Andrew on March 7th, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Yay Cars Land!

Luke from CA on March 7th, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Wow, awesome news! I heard a rumor that there will be a sneak peek for Cars Land for Annual Passholders. Is there any truth to this?

Tom Staggs on March 13th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thanks for your comments and questions about our grand re-opening of Disney California Adventure park. We can’t wait to share it with you. Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more updates and details as we get closer to June 15.

Bobby from CA on March 7th, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Will there be any soft opening dates for the new areas? I’ll be in the parks in Early June…about a week before the new areas officially open.

Karen on March 7th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Hoping it would open just a 2 and 1/2 months earlier for spring break! First time in Disneyland!

John on March 7th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Awesome! Can’t wait!

Fred from CA on March 7th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for the post Mr. Staggs :)

Its awesome that you and Bob Iger were able to take a tour of the progress.

Buena Vista Street will be great, and I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am about Cars Land. I love the “Cars” movies and I can;t wait to explore Radiator Springs. Its been a long time since the Disneyland Resort has received a project of this size and scope.

And thanks for confirming the opening date. I know that there had been rumors, but its always good to hear from an official source. :)

Mark on March 7th, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I am soooo ready for this to be open!

Ann on March 7th, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I can hardly wait for June 15 to arrive! Tick…..Tock! It’s been wonderful watching these changes evolve over the last few years, and it just keeps on getting better.

Chris from UT on March 7th, 2012 at 4:48 pm

That is terrible timing. I’ll be there June 4-8 with the biggest 4 year old Cars fan ever. Maybe they’ll have a soft opening we can sneak into.

Darren from TX on March 7th, 2012 at 4:48 pm

To say I am excited about this would be a HUGE understatement! Seeing people riding in the cars shows just how close opening day is! I can’t wait to see it in person. California Adventure might just become my favorite “2nd Gate”. It is fitting that it is right next to my favorite park, Disneyland!

Kyle on March 7th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

It’s going to be a amazing summer at the Disneyland Resort. Can’t wait to see all the Amazing new stuff.

ROBERT from CA on March 7th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

i am so excited and cannot wait to see the new attractions, land as well as trying the new chili con carne cone….. thanks for the update Tom….

Daniel on March 7th, 2012 at 4:53 pm

That looks so awesome. I cannot wait to see Buena Vista street.

Dina from AZ on March 7th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I have 2 little boys that LOVE Cars and I cannot wait to take them to see CA Adventrue and all of the new additions. Thank you for continuing to make every trip new and magical.

Regina on March 7th, 2012 at 5:02 pm

How exciting!! I cannot wait! Will there be a special pre-view event for annual passholders like they did for the Star Tours ride?? That would be AWESOME!!!

Erika on March 7th, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I am so excited to hear an official date. We will be there in September and I hope they have all of the kinks worked out by then. So excited to see all of their work.

Ryan on March 7th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Cannot wait; unfortunately I have to wait to November, but I will be there!

Ismael from CA on March 7th, 2012 at 5:23 pm

This is so exciting!!

SO when do we start seeing some big promotional stuff to give Disney California Adventure the proper rechristening that it deserves. ;) We should give the European tourist and all the east coast travelers time to book their trip to experience the all new improved DCA.
This park really deserves lots of attention after all these great additions

Vanessa on March 7th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Oh my gosh im so EXCITED! And if there is a preview for annual passholders i really hope we get to experience it! My girls are looking forward to it!
Also it will be so nice when the entrance is finished the walk into and out of the park is getting boring right now.

Diana from AB on March 7th, 2012 at 5:37 pm

So exciting to hear the official date for the new additions. We just booked our hotel and flights for October. My 4 year old son is going to get the surprise of his life when he sees Cars Land!!

Marilyn on March 7th, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I have been waiting for Carsland to be finished so I can make my very FIRST TRIP to Disneyland. I have waited 50 years for this to happen! My husband grew up going to Disneyland with his family, and he has promised to take me. I am so excited!!! Thanks for all the great photos and updates. I cannot wait to walk in the park where Walt walked, dreamed and created.

Otto on March 7th, 2012 at 5:52 pm

It´s clear that Disney is at is hight in creating awesome attractions and immersive enviroments. I bet the park will attrack much more people in the furure, wish they would build it in WDW.

Jason on March 7th, 2012 at 6:00 pm

First off Tom you’re the man! Please continue to work for Disney for a VERY LONG TIME :D

So excited for Cars Land, a wonderful addition to DCA!

Tracy on March 7th, 2012 at 6:02 pm

The Sneak Peek will be on March 27 (tuesday) to March 29 (thursday), no need to sign up just have your Annual Pass Ready to swipe. It won’t be the actual visit to CarsLand, it will be in a Sound Stage to show you whats to come to C.A and all the merchandise, food and entertainment to come…..I CAN”T WAIT!!!!

Stephanie on March 7th, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I cannot wait for CarsLand. I dont know who will be more excited me or my 2 year old son!

Stacey on March 7th, 2012 at 6:41 pm

It all looks great. I only wish I could say I’d be there to visit soon! :(

Ryan on March 7th, 2012 at 7:04 pm

It’s unfortunate that the grand opening isn’t earlier in the summer. I’ll be coming in all the way from Chicago the first week of June :/

Bonny on March 7th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Can’t wait!!!

Jonna on March 7th, 2012 at 8:28 pm

oh my gosh!! It looks so amazing. We are JUST going to miss it though..we will be there May 6 thru May 11. My grandson would drop a tranny!! LOL

Christina on March 7th, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Ugh, we’re going in May! thought we’d get to see it, soooo disappointed! :(

Mark on March 7th, 2012 at 9:28 pm

We were on Mickey’s Fun Wheel when my Brother noticed Luigi’s Flying Tires being tested. I looked down and by the time I found the attraction, I saw a bunch of people walking off the ride. It’s neat to know, now, that Bob Iger was one of those riders.

Courtney on March 7th, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Can I get one of those hard hats?

Loren from CA on March 7th, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I cannot tell you how exciting it is to know the opening of these new areas are just around the corner. I have been watching the construction over the last couple of years and I feel it’s like watching a child grow up. So amazing!

Clarissa from CA on March 7th, 2012 at 11:15 pm

MY 14 YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER, WHO KNOWS EVERY LINE FROM “CARS”, SAYS THAT SHE WON’T BE ABLE TO SLEEP UNTIL JUNE 15TH! WE ARE SSSSOOOOOO EXCITED!

RUTH on March 7th, 2012 at 11:35 pm

The date is on my calendar. Now the planning begins. We’re lucky to be APs, especially this year.

Tony from CA on March 7th, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Perfect June 15th is my birthday. =)

Cory on March 8th, 2012 at 2:25 am

For the first time in a while, will Disneyland be as good as or even better than Walt Disney World?

It’s definitely a must add to the Disney vacation life plan.

Bart from UT on March 8th, 2012 at 2:53 am

It looks like it will be worth the wait. This whole thing cannot open fast enough. For those of us following all the changes, starting with the DVC wing at the Grand Californian and World of Color dry dock, I cannot wait to be able to walk through CA without any walls, pardon the dust signs, or any other imagineering projects to detract from the experience. Just for a little while, I want to see the park without a project in process. I know Walt would just keep on tinkering with the park and more changes will happen, but I look forward to a break from change.

I can’t wait for the total immersion experience as we stay at the Grand Cal three times after June 15th. I hope there will be some access In the first part of June.

Goorsh, it’s going to be great!

Gregory from PA on March 8th, 2012 at 4:32 am

I get goosebumps just reading about it. Once it’s open, I’m never going to want to leave! (Of course, I never want to leave the Resort as it is…)

Alexandra on March 8th, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I LOVE CARS!!!!!! Can’t wait.

Carolyn from AZ on March 8th, 2012 at 3:29 pm

We have been waiting for this for along time!! We have watched the progress from the very start! WE cant wait!!

Diane on March 8th, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Looks awesome, Tom. Can’t wait to get to California to ride it..

Oren on March 8th, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Very excited to visiting Radiator Springs. Always amazed at the innovation and attention to detail that Imagineers possess – its part of what makes DLR so great. Looking forward to not just the rides, but to walk straight into, and actually be in Radiator Springs!

Gordon from TX on March 8th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Headed there Dec 2nd …with our 4 yr old grandson…..do we know the height requirements for the new rides yet?

Dean on March 8th, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Yay! The release date! Finally!

Russell on March 8th, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Is there a chance that Cars Land will eventually make it’s way to Walt Disney World? I think that it would make a terrific addition to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Kazumi on March 9th, 2012 at 6:55 am

I’m glad to hear great news!Can’t wait!

Bev on March 9th, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Woo Hoo!!!! I can’t wait! What a perfect time for me to be returning home to California!!

Fred from CA on March 9th, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Given the enormous price tag of Cars Land, (and the Radiator Springs Racers ride alone) I highly doubt that Cars land is going to be cloned anywhere else.

And frankly, I hope that they never duplicate Cars Land in any other park. Its a perfect fit for California Adventure, and should remain unique. All of the Disney parks should have attractions that are unique to them.

Jasmine on March 9th, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Like Fred said, Cars Land is way too expensive to be duplicated I believe. And Cars Land shouldn’t be anywhere else. Can’t DCA have something of its own? Not to mention WDW is getting Avatar Land. Why must it have Cars Land too? Keep Cars Land in California, please.