Staying at Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge means you’ll enjoy many of the comforts of home, including a full kitchen in the 1- and 2-bedroom Villas, the breathtaking Grand Villas, and the unique waterfront Cascade Cabins. Food blogger Melissa Bailey recently shared several of her family’s favorite comfort food dishes that are perfect for vacations at this magnificent resort.
You can even have groceries delivered right to your Disney Vacation Club accommodations, making it even easier to enjoy a home-cooked meal while on vacation. Melissa provides some culinary inspiration in this video. Watch as she makes a scrumptious arroz con pollo!
Here’s the recipe, which you can recreate at home. Or, if you’re a Disney Vacation Club Member, this is the perfect dish to make part of your annual tradition while staying in your own Villa!
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cubed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon achiote powder
- 1⁄2 cup Spanish olives (Manzanilla), chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown the chicken in a large pot (medium high heat) with 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Bring heat down to medium and add remaining olive oil.
- Cook onions and peppers until translucent.
- Season by adding salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, and garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add tomatoes, vinegar and cilantro and stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Stir in rice and keep stirring until the rice is covered and soaks all the juices (approximately 2-3 minutes).
- Pour in water and continue to stir, adding achiote powder, olives and capers.
- After all ingredients are well combined, adjust with salt to taste.
- Once flavors are to your liking cover the pot and bring heat to low.
- Cook for 30-40 additional minutes.